Short Term group disability, New York State

yorkriver1

Guru
1000 Post Club
Virginia
Anyone handle this? Out of state business has workers on a job in NY state, needs the specific version of short term disability for their paid workers in NY that includes paid leave per NY law. Notice of non-compliance from the NY state WC division that handles this situation. It's not work comp related, it's the NY state department that manages compliance of the short term disability coverage being in place.

I seem to recall that from years ago. NY and perhaps CA, have a required STD program. I thought it was a state program, not insurance product. But I could be wrong. Too many beers since I worked that market.

I seem to recall that from years ago. NY and perhaps CA, have a required STD program. I thought it was a state program, not insurance product. But I could be wrong. Too many beers since I worked that market.
5 states have that. NY, CA, HI, RI and NJ.

Employers normally fold that into the WC insurance and/or their group coverage in those states (from what I've seen).

Hi, been busy with this, etc. Turns out, the NY WC Board suggested 2 carriers for the coverage. I chose the one that made it easy to contact and work with them. Just sent the COI to the client today.

When I lived in California, and had payroll work, and paid employees later once I was an agent, one deduction paid to the state was for mandatory short term disability coverage, which became another small deduction for each employee to pay. Kind of like mandatory Aflac or similar voluntary benefits carrier's short term disability coverage. Probably not age rated, CA agents probably could explain better. Out there, the program is state administered. Their WC rules are that there is a state fund program for WC but they also allow commercial carriers to sell WC. The short term disability related product I needed for the client with workers on contracted jobs in NY can be employer or employee paid. For this situation, employer paid works best.

5 states have that. NY, CA, HI, RI and NJ.

Employers normally fold that into the WC insurance and/or their group coverage in those states (from what I've seen).
There may be some situations where that happens, but the NY state WC office recommended two carriers that offer just the short term disability and paid family leave coverage. The Hartford and Fireman's Fund.

Back