"Short-Term" Mini-Med (Your Thoughts)?

Dave020

Super Moderator
California
I wanted to put this in a new thread as there are a couple of other threads dealing with this but not in the way I want to explore it, exactly.

I am with the majority in agreement that it is not a good idea to substitute a mini-med plan for real major medical. However there is one situation (here in CA) where I am curious if my idea has any merit.

Uninsurable not HIPAA or group eligible obviously can go to the state's MRMIP major risk pool for coverage (not that much greater than mini-med, sadly). But, CA currently has a 4-6 month minimum wait to get into the program if not longer.

My idea is that since they cannot obtain any real major med until the MRMIP enrollment, would it make sense to offer them a mini-med plan pending the enrollment in the MRMIP?

While not the perfect situation, they will be fully un-insured in the period until major risk can enroll them.

I am getting tired of submitting MRMIP applications for people and dreading that something happen to them during the wait.

Like I said, not recommending as a permanent solution, just kind of short-term coverage until MRMIP can get them in the risk pool.

Thoughts?

Uninsurable not HIPAA or group eligible obviously can go to the state's MRMIP major risk pool for coverage (not that much greater than mini-med, sadly). But, CA currently has a 4-6 month minimum wait to get into the program if not longer.

That is because CA is pushing so hard for government run insurance. In 4 to 6 months you might not have a market left the way things are going.

CA scares me in a big way.

My idea is that since they cannot obtain any real major med until the MRMIP enrollment, would it make sense to offer them a mini-med plan pending the enrollment in the MRMIP?

In this scenario that sounds appropriate and ethical if I am understanding it correctly.

The real question is why their is a 4 to 6 month wait on the safety net program. This is what the CA liberal representatives should be upset about, instead of trying to take on any company that is actually turning a profit.

Agreed. The wait is because the 3-year program (you could stay on for 3 years then you had to purchase a private "graduate" plan) expired and the legislature made no provision to continue it. So, now anyone in the pool can stay in the pool until they max out at $750k then go to a graduate plan. Since many are not maxing out, the pool is full.

Back