Short Term with High Blood Pressure

Hello, anyone know if someone can approve this? I dont sell many stm but saw on uhc app that its a decline

IHC Health Solutions will approve it, but hypertension is a Pre-Existing Condition. Insurance5511, I assume you know the implications of Pre-X and how they are excluded from coverage by Short Term Medical plans. Right?

Here's a PDF of their paper application from a few years back.
https://thebrokerageinc.com/wp-content/uploads/IHC-HPA-Standard-Security-STMM-2-12.pdf

The medical question are the same in today's online version. Online Enrollment is all that's allowed now by the IHC group.

IHC Health Solutions will approve it, but hypertension is a Pre-Existing Condition. Insurance5511, I assume you know the implications of Pre-X and how they are excluded from coverage by Short Term Medical plans. Right?

Here's a PDF of their paper application from a few years back.
https://thebrokerageinc.com/wp-content/uploads/IHC-HPA-Standard-Security-STMM-2-12.pdf

The medical question are the same in today's online version. Online Enrollment is all that's allowed now by the IHC group.

This is why I would rather write UHC...you have HBP, they won't write it. Or you get IHC and if you have a heart attack, you're totally uncovered.

Just got email from uhc stating no more blood pressure question on app

I just read that e-mail. It says in bold print, "Simple Application With No High Blood Pressure Question."

At the bottom, it says in small print, "Pre-existing Conditions are Not Covered".

UHC will get more STM applications, and have more claims to deny. The end result will be what UHC needs badly in the individual market...Additional revenue that's not eroded by medical claims.

There is no such thing as a good STM policy. The pre-x clauses in those policies all but guarantee coverage only for accidents, post issue of course, and heaven forbid if you happen to aggravate an old injury. I haven't sold a STM plan in over 20 years and certainly wouldn't do so today. Carrying STM would be akin to carrying an auto policy that excludes damage to your vehicle or other's property, or a homeowners policy that excludes physical damage to your home, or a life policy that excludes coverage if you happen to die. Of course, none of those policies exist - it would be illegal to sell them and it should be just as illegal to sell STM.

CMS seems to agree,

There is no such thing as a good STM policy. The pre-x clauses in those policies all but guarantee coverage only for accidents, post issue of course, and heaven forbid if you happen to aggravate an old injury. I haven't sold a STM plan in over 20 years and certainly wouldn't do so today. Carrying STM would be akin to carrying an auto policy that excludes damage to your vehicle or other's property, or a homeowners policy that excludes physical damage to your home, or a life policy that excludes coverage if you happen to die. Of course, none of those policies exist - it would be illegal to sell them and it should be just as illegal to sell STM.

CMS seems to agree,

Illegal to sell short term medical? Agreeing with CMS?

Keep thinking like that.

I know I'm a month late but I don't check in much and I just saw this so I thought I thought I would chime in. RNI has a STM plan that won't cover the pre-existing High Blood Pressure but they can pair it with a Specified Disease plan that WILL cover the high blood pressure after a 12 month waiting period. And their Specified Disease plan is pretty good. The premium is far less than a marketplace or exchange plan, if your buying on price. If you are currently insured with a marketplace or exchange plan, and then switch to the STM + S.D. plan with RNI then coverage for the pre-existing condition would begin immediately.

STMs aren't perfect but the gaps in coverage can be bridged with other "companion" plans and still be much cheaper than the alternatives. The tax penalty can easily and cheaply be avoided as well, if your agent knows what he's doing.

Back