Should I Cancel My VUL Policy?

dnoorlander

My wife and I have had a Variable Universal Life Insurance policy since the year 2000 & we're wondering if we should cancel it.

Here are the particulars: We put $100 per month into it. About $28.50 goes toward insurance (with a death benefit of $200,000), $5.50 is taken as a fee, & the rest is invested among four different funds. The current cash value is about $10,500, with a surrender value of about $9,750.

Our concerns are (1) it really hasn't grown much over the years; (2) I heard somewhere that if I were to die my dependents would not get the death benefit AND the cash value, just the death benefit (which I really hate); and (3) we're automatically losing over 5% each month with that fee. I think we might be able to do better just buying term insurance & saving/investing some other way. Plus we could really use the money right now to pay down student loan debt.

On the other hand, I worry (1) that by canceling the policy we lose that $750 difference between the cash value & the surrender value; and (2) receiving all that money might put us in a higher tax bracket & we'll take a big hit in taxes next April 15th.

Does it sound wise to cancel? Will we have to pay taxes on the full $9,750 or just the growth, which is actually pretty negligible? Will it put us (family of five w/three children) in a higher tax bracket (moving us from about 40,000 per year to 50,000)? Are there advantages/disadvantages to canceling the policy that I'm not seeing?

Any advice would be appreciated.

You should sit down with someone you trust, who is knowledgeable, and who can review all your options ... exchanging into a whole life policy with guarantees, keeping the VUL, replacing with term, etc., so that you can make an educated decision.

My wife and I have had a Variable Universal Life Insurance policy since the year 2000 & we're wondering if we should cancel it.

Here are the particulars: We put $100 per month into it. About $28.50 goes toward insurance (with a death benefit of $200,000), $5.50 is taken as a fee, & the rest is invested among four different funds. The current cash value is about $10,500, with a surrender value of about $9,750.

Our concerns are (1) it really hasn't grown much over the years; (2) I heard somewhere that if I were to die my dependents would not get the death benefit AND the cash value, just the death benefit (which I really hate); and (3) we're automatically losing over 5% each month with that fee. I think we might be able to do better just buying term insurance & saving/investing some other way. Plus we could really use the money right now to pay down student loan debt.

On the other hand, I worry (1) that by canceling the policy we lose that $750 difference between the cash value & the surrender value; and (2) receiving all that money might put us in a higher tax bracket & we'll take a big hit in taxes next April 15th.

Does it sound wise to cancel? Will we have to pay taxes on the full $9,750 or just the growth, which is actually pretty negligible? Will it put us (family of five w/three children) in a higher tax bracket (moving us from about 40,000 per year to 50,000)? Are there advantages/disadvantages to canceling the policy that I'm not seeing?

It all really just depends.
And a lot more info is needed to even halfway answer your questions; and the main one is:
What was the purpose of the policy?

What is the current Death Benefit?
What DB option do you have? Has it remained at $200K since you bought it?
How long until the surrender charges are up?
What is it invested in? (risky/med risk/safe/etc) How have the investments performed?
Whats the ratio of the fixed account to the equity account?
What carrier is it with?
How old are you?
Are you contributing to other retirement accounts?

One thing to keep in mind is that you have been exposed to two of the worst crashes in market history!! I would assume that you have seen some positive growth over the past couple of years... ?

If there is a flaw in the VUL it could be the investment choices, or it could be the plan design (inefficient Premium to DB ratio; inefficient DB option; inefficient testing option)

But I would guess that you are young and were in some really aggressive funds.... correct?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Will we have to pay taxes on the full $9,750 or just the growth, which is actually pretty negligible? Will it put us (family of five w/three children) in a higher tax bracket (moving us from about 40,000 per year to 50,000)? Are there advantages/disadvantages to canceling the policy that I'm not seeing?

If you have paid $1200/year for 10/11 years now, that means you have paid over $10K in premiums.
If the CV is under $10K whatever you take out is tax free and considered a "return of basis".

Last edited:
I think the very first question should be, how is your health, are you un-insurable now?

where in va are you...just like mark said, you need to sit down with someone, we have some excellent agents on this forum. from va. just ask...

Back