Should I Disclose Insurance Payment To Auto Body Shop?

Tarkus

I'm receiving a check from the insurance company of someone who was at fault. Should I tell an auto body shop that I have insurance claim money for the repairs or not? I'm thinking I may get a better price if I tell them that there's no insurance involved. If it doesn't matter and they ask how much they gave me, should I refuse to disclose the amount?

If you have a single party check written only to you, you can do whatever you want. The cost of repairs may or may not be different, but you also now have a finite amount of capital for your repairs. Better hope that adjuster was thorough in the evaluation of damage to your vehicle.
Had the carrier arranged to pay the shop directly, you could be free of the worry of having more bill than settlement...

I would disclose the estimate and check amount from the insurance company. the repair shop may have a slightly higher estimate but be willing to back the estimate down to match the settlement or if they see damage which was missed they will submit a supplement to have that damage covered. Why be sneaky? Do you take your own steaks to a restaurant?

Greetings,

With my 5 years of experience, these are the questions you need to answer to help you make the best decision for “you”

Step #1: Assess the damage from the eyes of an honest mechanic.

Question to ask Mechanic: Based on his experience, is there internal damage. If the mechanic does not provide a straight answer turn around and find a different mechanic. A mechanic who truly cares will provide an honest answer.

Why ask the mechanic for internal damage?

It’s simple. Cosmetically to the eye, visible damages may be minor but internally it’s not safe to drive.

Step #2. If there is no internal damage, allow comfort to know your making the right decision. Fix the vehicle with the estimate payment received.

If the mechanic notifies you of an internal damage, a supplement must be submitted to cover the cost of the initial estimate.

-N

Back