Should I Get my Own Health Insurance to Pay for IVF?

kamilski81

Hi. My wife and I live in Illinois and she works for a company that is based out of Minneapolis. We would like to do IVF but her company insurance does not give any benefits for IVF (since it's based out of Minneapolis).

I am currently a freelancer under her health insurance, but I have some questions in regards to this.

Should I get her to drop me from her insurance and then get my own personal BCBSIL insurance as a freelancer? Maybe that would cover IVF?

Is this idea realistic? Can my plan pay for IVF or does it have to be the female's plan that has IVF benefits? Could I add her on as my beneficiary even though she wouldn't be 'dropped' off her plan?

Only her plan can pay for IVF.
Next time open enrollment comes around(if ever again) she can just buy a Obama plan. You can have a group plan and an Obamacare plan at the same time. In Illinois, fertility treatment is mandated( this is why obamacare plans in Illinois cover IVF) not all states do this.

You can't just drop coverage and buy ACA. One way is to get divorced than buy anything you want at your stand alone income. Me thinks you'd have more troubles than health insurance if you went that route. Let us know if it works out.

Rules are changing and 2018 is up in the air.

Back