Should I Leave Colonial Life and Go to Guardian, or Can I Do Both?

bama294

Hello All,
I've been a Colonial Life agent for about a month now and have yet to close on one account. I blame the majority of my unsucessfullness on lack of training. I only meet with my GA that hired me once a week. During that time is the only training I get which is not much or enough. The time and money I'm spending trying to get my business off of the ground is running out. So, I decided to search for a way to bring in some money to help. I stumbled on an interview with Guardian Life next week through a staffing agency. I understand that Colonial is not captive and Guardian is, but is it possible for me to do both? I understand the CL process of how things work pretty ok. But can some of you tell me a little bit about the Guardian process of things.

If Guardian is captive, no you will be permitted to sell away from the company. I suggest going to the interview as Guardian is a solid company.

If you go with Guardian why would you want to sell Colonial since Guardian has its own work site products.

Last edited:
Hello All,
I've been a Colonial Life agent for about a month now and have yet to close on one account. I blame the majority of my unsucessfullness on lack of training. I only meet with my GA that hired me once a week. During that time is the only training I get which is not much or enough. The time and money I'm spending trying to get my business off of the ground is running out. So, I decided to search for a way to bring in some money to help. I stumbled on an interview with Guardian Life next week through a staffing agency. I understand that Colonial is not captive and Guardian is, but is it possible for me to do both? I understand the CL process of how things work pretty ok. But can some of you tell me a little bit about the Guardian process of things.

Get out of Colonial as fast as you can!! Their commissions suck, they push the mini-med policy and that commission even sucks worse. I met all of their 90 day objectives and almost went broke doing it. If you are not calling on at least 50 businesses a day, stay out of the voluntary benefit business.

I am very interested in Guardian because of the availability to offer clients much more than voluntary products. Now, I do see that Guardian does offer work-site products, definitely a plus. My desire and goal is to eventually do financial planning. I believe Guardian has a far greater opportunity for me to attain my goal.

What should I look for out of the Guardian experience?
Products?
Training?
Compensation?

You might want to look into some of the other Big Mutuals (and maybe stock companies) too like New York Life, Mass Mutual, Northwestern Mutual, etc. Others here can go into more detail, but the consensus seems to be that your best bet is to go with whichever local office has the best training.

Being in Austin, TX, I don't know what the Guardian office is like where you are, Bama. Let me know where you are exactly and I'll do some digging. Give me a call at 512.460.9064 or email me at greg at stevens dot net.

Back