Should I Notify my Insurance Company that I Have Expensive Aftermarket Car Stereo? if So, how Much W

badkitty

Expert
Last Christmas, I upgraded my car's stereo system. Hareware alone cost a little over $3700. (another $1100 for installation) I have all the receipts.

I know that they won't be covered if stolen/damaged right now, since my insurance company doesn't know about it.

Is there some way that I can get an idea of how much my premium will go up if I notify my insurance about it? I don't want to call them first, because they seem to keep a record of EVERYTHING I say to them. Last time I called them and asked about something random, they kept it in my records, even if I didn't go through with the change.

Re: Should I Notify my Insurance Company that I Have Expensive Aftermarket Car Stereo? if So, how Much Will my Premium G

If you had an agent instead of buying directly, you wouldn't have that problem? :1wink:

what you need to look at is whether or not your policy has accessory coverage. Many companies offer it free up to a certain amount with comp and collision coverage, and give you the option of purchasing higher amounts if you need.

Re: Should I Notify my Insurance Company that I Have Expensive Aftermarket Car Stereo? if So, how Much Will my Premium G

I concur what Blocko said if you used and independent agent you wouldn't need to post these kind of questions.

it's real easy for an agent to quote you with certain amounts of accessory coverage. and I doubt a direct company would mind quoting for the coverage either.

but if you go asking an agent or company rep all these hypothetical theft questions, he/she may run from you!

Last Christmas, I upgraded my car's stereo system. Hareware alone cost a little over $3700. (another $1100 for installation) I have all the receipts.

I know that they won't be covered if stolen/damaged right now, since my insurance company doesn't know about it.

Is there some way that I can get an idea of how much my premium will go up if I notify my insurance about it? I don't want to call them first, because they seem to keep a record of EVERYTHING I say to them. Last time I called them and asked about something random, they kept it in my records, even if I didn't go through with the change.

when they break into your car and take that expensive system from you..will you be happy or sad?

The increased coverage for customization is optional not mandatory, by your hesitation I get the feeling you think they are going to up your premium automatically. They aren't. They are going to offer coverage at a certain premium amount and then it's up to you if you want to purchase it.

The increased coverage for customization is optional not mandatory, by your hesitation I get the feeling you think they are going to up your premium automatically. They aren't. They are going to offer coverage at a certain premium amount and then it's up to you if you want to purchase it.

+ 1 for this answer.
Exactly: "They are going to offer coverage at a certain premium amount and then it's up to you if you want to purchase it."

Post after post of stupid questions and everyone falls for it.

Rick

Actually ,
This is a common question for a P&C agent to deal with. Something that I brought up when doing annual reviews as well.

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using InsForums

Agreed if it wasn't about the 15th question posted in the past couple of days with very specific and unusual requests.

Clearly someone is just playing around and getting agents to bite.

Rick

Back