Should I Stay or Should I Go Now?

PCNewb

Hello all, first post but I'll try to keep the intro brief. I need advice!

4 months ago, I moved from Pennsylvania to California to be closer to my fiancé (in law school). I graduated in May 2015 with a philosophy degree unsure of what I'd do. I took an internship position with a State Farm Agent for $10/hr. When I couldn't find any other work, I decided to get my P&C license and start working for the agent full-time. I paid the entirety of my fees and educational cost, essentially spending everything I made during my internship. I was promised an eventual base pay of $30k with 4% commission on P&C as long as I hit my goals.
My pay is currently tiered, so I'm making $12/hr now with a goal of 20 raw new auto to start.

However, I'm not really sure about working for this agent anymore. A coworker of mine started in August is is already planning to leave. He had informed me that the agent was not paying him any commission unless he hit his goal of 35 raw new auto a month. We were led to believe we'd be earning commission on every policy sold regardless of goals, but now that we know there's no difference between selling 1 and 34, the motivation has gone downhill, especially for my coworker.
I personally feel unsettled about working on this pay structure and at such high goals, but I'm not sure what to do. I just started in the industry so I'm not sure if this is an accepted practice or if there's something fishy going on. There have been at least 2 (soon to be 3) other sales reps that have jumped ship and the office has only been open since January. I feel that should have been a red flag for me.

I'll be moving to another city a year from now once I'm married, so I've been thinking it may be worth looking at State Farm offices up there, but I'm worried it'd look bad to bail from my first agency after only 3-4 months. I don't really know anyone else in the industry so I wasn't sure who to talk to. I figured here would be my best bet.

I would just get a job at the Philosophy Factory and call it a day. ;)

Yes haha, I got the philosophy degree and I'm not doing philosophy as a career, I've heard it all before and still have no regrets.

I really just want to get some good advice. This is a stressful situation.

Well, you have a P&C license, so that's a plus. Shows initiative, although you aren't earning $30k/year based on $12 per hour.

Do you feel that you have the skills and training to succeed at the levels the position requires? It sounds like you don't.

Let me help you: Find a way to work on yourself and improve your skills BEFORE trying to get more money from your agent or elsewhere.

You just might find some ideas here on this forum to help you. Once you improve your skills where you are, and have a proven production track record... then you can go elsewhere, if you wish.

Here's how it was sold to me:

1st month: 20 raw new auto
$20k per year rate of pay + commission

2nd month: 30 RNA
$25k per year rate + commission

3rd month: 35 RNA
$30k per year rate + commission

I found out after the fact that I only get commission if I hit those numbers. Otherwise nothing for commission. After 90 days I get a performance review/possibly fired.

In regards to skills, I believe I have what it takes to sell, but our leads are almost entirely Internet. I'm following my training to a tee and have sold 5 this week, but I feel it's only going to be enough to produce 20-30 auto a month if that.

I go back and forth on the leave or stay decision constantly. I don't want to jump ship too early, but I don't want to get stuck in a position where I can't earn any commission.

What is your lead conversion %?

Are you converting 90-100% of your leads into policies?

Or is it below 50%?

You sold 5 policies this week... out of how many leads?

----------

Here's how it was sold to me:

1st month: 20 raw new auto
$20k per year rate of pay + commission

2nd month: 30 RNA
$25k per year rate + commission

3rd month: 35 RNA
$30k per year rate + commission

I found out after the fact that I only get commission if I hit those numbers. Otherwise nothing for commission. After 90 days I get a performance review/possibly fired.

Guess what? That increase in pay? THAT'S CALLED COMMISSION! Yes, you may think of it as 'base pay'... but if you don't produce ANYTHING, you'll be shown the door and get NOTHING.

Who else can get that kind of a raise each MONTH? That's a 20% raise!!!

C'mon!

I get 10 leads a day to quote, email call and text. My expected conversion is about 10%.
I sold 7 policies if you'd include fire in that total. So I'm technically on track for my first week. I just worry about the next week, and the week after, and the week after.

I guess I should just eat it for these next three months. If it turns out sales isn't my bag, I'll look at service opportunities.

Back