Should I Tell Wife Why Husband Declined Life Insurance

geejayagent

So wife becomes my client first, then refers me to husband. He applies for life policy, is declined, but does not tell wife why. Am I bound by HIPAA? Ethics?

Why would you want to tell the wife why? Don't cause the grief, you'll might lose her policy as well.

Dan

Ethics I assumed so, could not with certainty find anything on HIPAA, thanks for the reply. My conclusion is to keep my mouth shut.

----------

Thanks Dan, that is what I thought, just needed that extra confirmation.

Ethics I assumed so, could not with certainty find anything on HIPAA, thanks for the reply. My conclusion is to keep my mouth shut.

----------

Thanks Dan, that is what I thought, just needed that extra confirmation.

If she asks simply tell her that federal privacy laws forbid you from revealing that info to anyone other than the applicant.

I had a similar situation years ago, the guy tested positive for HIV and he did not have the guts to tell her. She called me few times and thanks for call waiting, I ignored the calls.

I also know a newbie agent who told the reason for decline to the wife. It turns out they were getting life insurance for the divorce agreement. It just added fireworks to an already bad situation. I don't know how much his E&O paid but the newbie agent quit after this.

In most states, the only person who can be told of a HIV positive result is the legal spouse of the infected. If this is the case for the OP, I would recommend to your client that they inform their spouse and at least have them get tested.

Also, as a side note, if someone is found to have KNOWN they had HIV and knowingly had sex with someone, no matter who that someone was, many states consider this a felony.

Back