Should Life Insurance Agents Become Financial Planners?

I've given up my securities license and focused on the insurance side and boosted my income.

Same here. It is much more profitable, enjoyable, and less stressful to focus on either securities or insurance. I choose insurance.

To become a financial planner, it is necessary to get a cfa certificate or cfp certificate. Although CFA level 1,2 and 3 level complete person may choose this filed.

To become a financial planner, it is necessary to get a cfa certificate or cfp certificate. Although CFA level 1,2 and 3 level complete person may choose this filed.

Those are designations or certifications. To become a planner and have money under management what is absolutely nescessary is to have a Series 65 or Series 66 securities license. While a CFP or a CFA is nice to have and might be certifications that some people would look for one cannot say that they are absolutely necessary.

What is required to be a fee only planner?

What is required to be a fee only planner?

A sick sense of "moral superiority" in regards to their personal compensation for their services.

If advising in the area of securities: a series 65.

If advising in the area of insurance: an insurance analyst-type license.

A sick sense of "moral superiority" in regards to their personal compensation for their services.
For some people that is the only way they want to go. I always tell people my reccomendations are going to be the same either way, but if they pay me for the plan only, they will still have to pay either myself or another advisor through commissions or management fees. I offer fee only planning, but i dont bring it up unless they ask for it because I feel like it is double dipping.

I thought I would nudge this old thread that had quite a bit to say about TGP since that seems to be a subject we can only discuss clandestinely. The TGP thread got banned to the fight club and then deleted although there was no fighting there. I miss the comradery some of us TGPers had. Anyone still on the site?

I thought I would nudge this old thread that had quite a bit to say about TGP since that seems to be a subject we can only discuss clandestinely. The TGP thread got banned to the fight club and then deleted although there was no fighting there. I miss the comradery some of us TGPers had. Anyone still on the site?

Still on TGPers, nope but did receive a call from "Rick" looking to see how he could help my business so I bet he is not being overwhelmed with people.

Still on TGPers, nope but did receive a call from "Rick" looking to see how he could help my business so I bet he is not being overwhelmed with people.

I am not suprised. Rick may have miscalculated on how this would work.

Last edited:
I am nit suprised. Rick may have miscalculated on how thus would work.

I have some contracts through him some of my lower contracts, I do not feel as much of a need to put business through them now that I do not have access to TPG.

Back