Shredder or no shredder?

WinoBlues

Guru
5000 Post Club
Years ago I would buy and burn out a couple of shredders a year.

Then I started waiting until I had a half dozen bins. I would then take them to a non-profit (ARC) for shredding @$10 ea.

Over the years companies send more and more emails vs paper. Yeah, still to much paper.
How about paper apps and service forms?

Questions:

Do you use a service or have a shredder?
How about dead files after they time out?

I know, I know scan everything. Working on it. But then I will have 4 file cabinets full of files to deal with.

Years ago I would buy and burn out a couple of shredders a year.

Then I started waiting until I had a half dozen bins. I would then take them to a non-profit (ARC) for shredding @$10 ea.

Over the years companies send more and more emails vs paper. Yeah, still to much paper.
How about paper apps and service forms?

Questions:

How about dead files after they time out?

I know, I know scan everything. Working on it. But then I will have 4 file cabinets full of files to deal with.

I have a shredder but I have a few boxes of old files to get rid of.

A lot of communities have "shredding days" where you can just dump your stuff in a secure bin/truck and call it a day.

I'm going to ours Sat a.m.

I burn in an old smoker. I got tired of burning out shredders. Some lighter fluid, a match, some hickory logs, and a brisket, and it all turns out well without harming any of those poor defenseless shredders.

And everything reduced to a handful of flash drives is a wonderful thing.

I have a heavy duty fellows takes 23 pages at a clip . I fill 2 55 gallon bags every yr plus use weekly . It’s worked like a charm for 5 yrs . Costs about $230 . Well worth it

I shred as I go, unless I'm purging paper and then I burn the mountain. I learned a while back how to clean, grease and oil a shredder, I've only burned out 1 in many years. I suggest 3-In-One oil All Temp Silicone, squirt it right onto the rotating blades.

You been using this one for too long? :eek:

th

A good shredder was a gift from my son (can't remember the holiday), yes, oil to grease and this one is here to stay. I am shredding on regular base. Still paper oriented. :dull:

I'd like to have a more regularly scheduled community dropoff for shredding, but there's no telling when the next event will occur. I bought a heavy-duty Bonsaii shredder which shreds 16 sheets at a time (micro-cut) to get rid of stuff I want safely disposed of NOW. It's worth the $100-$130 I spent to feel secure and have a machine that is reliable.

Back