SIAA or Smart Choice.... recent changes

Sai123

Hi,

I am a new independent agent in NC and deciding between SIAA and Smart Choice. I have read some threads but they are not recent. Appreciate if you have any input that is current and helps me make the decision.

We have been using Smart Choice for over 10 years, and I have nothing but good things to say. The percentage of commission that we give this was an excellent trade-off for the markets we were able to get. It put us right in line with the large mega-agencies. On most of our business, we appear as the agent on the dec sheets so there is no confusion to the client. They have never been high pressure. We lost a couple of small contracts for lack of production. We had no production because the rates ended up not being good anyway with those few carriers. I would have them run some sample quotes for you before you go signing up for every company they have. With some carriers, Smart Choice has their own underwriting rules that are a little stricter that a direct agent would have. But that ends up benefiting you in the long run because you send up with a cleaner block of business. With the contract I have, my business is my business too. I just have to give Smart Choice first chance to buy if I decide to sellout.

We have been using Smart Choice for over 10 years, and I have nothing but good things to say. The percentage of commission that we give this was an excellent trade-off for the markets we were able to get. It put us right in line with the large mega-agencies. On most of our business, we appear as the agent on the dec sheets so there is no confusion to the client. They have never been high pressure. We lost a couple of small contracts for lack of production. We had no production because the rates ended up not being good anyway with those few carriers. I would have them run some sample quotes for you before you go signing up for every company they have. With some carriers, Smart Choice has their own underwriting rules that are a little stricter that a direct agent would have. But that ends up benefiting you in the long run because you send up with a cleaner block of business. With the contract I have, my business is my business too. I just have to give Smart Choice first chance to buy if I decide to sellout.

We tried it or a while. We felt more "independent" and appreciated with Smart Choice.

I just dont like the idea of allowing Smart Choice to do everything. They dont want you to be involved. In a way, its hands-off approach however you cant build long-term relations if you are not involved. Also, there is no non-compete clause with Superior Plus.

I just dont like the idea of allowing Smart Choice to do everything. They dont want you to be involved. In a way, its hands-off approach however you cant build long-term relations if you are not involved. Also, there is no non-compete clause with Superior Plus.
Smart Choice must be very different in your state. Each state has their own rep. Here in TN, we do everything. They are not hands-on at all. We actually hardly hear from them unless their is a problem or new market. They do have the Smart Start program where you hand everything over to them to handle, but that's mainly for agents who don't want to build a business. They get you direct contracts with the carriers and you do everything yourself. Quoting, issuing, servicing, etc. with the standard contract.

Back