Camerond

I have researched lots of independent structures and have a question related to SIAA. My understanding is that the Master Agent contract may depend a lot on this but how much control of you and your business do they have?

Can they make certain decisions for you and can they dictate how your agency is ran?

I haven’t seen this topic discussed or maybe have missed it so please be kind if I did and direct me to the right place!

Yes they can dictate how things are ran and what is sold to whom and where. Siaa is different around the country but they all have some form of control. For instance my group only wanted me to write in my local area, missing out on writing personal and commercial around the state where I knew people and had family. They also did not want me writing commercial at all and to give it to another siaa member in the area. None of this was in the contract but there was nothing I could do about it. One of their carriers offered to give me my own code and binding authority but they told the company no. I left almost a year ago. I was lucky to get out of the contract. I have less carriers but I own 100% of what I do have and keep 100% of the commissions. They served their purpose and were great in the beginning. Just not a good fit for me, I am in a poor area where there are lots of old established agencies. I am not from this area so my people are all over the state and it just didn't work with their model.

Thanks for the reply to this. Am with SIAA and the master agent I’m with offers me my own control and ability to do whatever I want. May be a bad Master agency. Everything I researched has led me to believe that’s what it all depends on. If that changes obviously there will be issues but so far so good. So sorry for your experience!

Thanks for the reply to this. Am with SIAA and the master agent I’m with offers me my own control and ability to do whatever I want. May be a bad Master agency. Everything I researched has led me to believe that’s what it all depends on. If that changes obviously there will be issues but so far so good. So sorry for your experience!

Is it Mountain Empire, MEAA? I know they have at least part of North Carolina.

They are far from perfect, but they are pretty good. It seems their contract is more friendly that most SIAA master agencies.

It seems that way to me also. I’ve read some major complaints about Master Agencies that made me nervous. So far so good!

Back