Sidney C. Walkers Book Helps With Cold Calling..

I didn't say "true professional". I said "true student of the profession". There is a difference behind language, meaning, and intent.

It's an odd thing that I find... but those with the most experience end up defending that experience more often than seeking new ways of doing things. My old MassMutual GA used to say "But what do I know? It's only 25 years of experience talking." Turns out, he didn't know much, or his training would've been far better than it was.

All I wanted to do was show you how your own filters for success (ie. how many policies did they sell) were blinding you from learning from someone else's value.

I’ve been a student of sales and this business longer than most have or will be in it, but thank you anyway.

All I wanted to do was show you how your own filters for success (ie. how many policies did they sell) were blinding you from learning from someone else's value.

There's two different things being discussed here, and they're not really in conflict:
  1. The ability to sell via cold calling.
  2. The marketing experience when selling insurance via that method.
#1 is what Sid's book discusses (I guess, I haven't read it yet).

#2 is about applying that skill practically to the art of selling insurance. Obviously, some products can be sold cold calling and some can't...even if you're the best cold caller in the world, can you actually make a living this way? i.e., is it relevant to "selling policies" which at the end of the day is what matters? That's where gca80 is going, and it's a fair question to ask.

I think even if cold calling is not your main method, all agents do either cold calling or something very similar. Unless you're exclusively working that Project 200 list, you're calling strangers on the phone and trying to sell them at some point. You may not go through the full sales cycle on the phone, but at a minimum you're trying to get to the next step. Who wouldn't want to be better at that?

I'm going to check the book out. If you're a Kindle Unlimited member ($10/month on Amazon), the book is free.

I’m good. Thanks. I’d just like to know how name cold calls, or any sales calls he has made into a successful career. Not books and seminars from ivory tower bullshit.

I’m good. Thanks. I’d just like to know how name cold calls, or any sales calls he has made into a successful career. Not books and seminars from ivory tower bullshit.

You might have a lot of sales experience but your grammar is pretty hideous. I can see why you would shy away from social media and also learning must be very challenging for you. Most folks will post once with their opinion or point of view. You however continue to want to debate what amounts to nothing, you're opinion. The more you do it the weaker you come across to everyone.

And to quote you here "I’ve been a student of sales and this business longer than most have or will be in it, but thank you anyway." It's laughable because every sales book has a section in it that points out folks like you. Nobody wants a Negative Nancy on their team. In the court of public opinion which you obviously disregard but in that court and also with educated and scholastically inclined intellectuals you come across very thick headed and set in your ways. I doubt you seriously spend much time on LinekdIn, I doubt you follow Mark Hunter, Jeb Blount, industry sales leaders that warn top 1% types of people such as yourself.

I hope you do some soul searching and not waste people's time with horrible posts that do not want to help educate or enrich which is what this forum or message board is built around. If you don't like it perhaps you might want to start your own since you are on the cutting edge of insurance sales and have all the answers.

You’re funny too. I’m retired now. I really don’t care what you think. I see now that I typed the word “name” instead of “many.” It is laughable to me. You can continue wasting your time and money on books from people like that. It makes no difference to me.

As far as public opinion, I have not ever cared about it. Any soul searching, as you put it, is none of your business. The defensiveness about the books and seminar people is quite amusing. I’m just enjoying my retirement.

Last edited by a moderator:
You’re funny too. I’m retired now. I really don’t care what you think. I see now that I typed the word “name” instead of “many.” It is laughable to me. I’m retired now. You can continue wasting your time and money on books from people like that. It makes no difference to me.

As far as public opinion, I have not ever cared about it. Any soul searching, as you put it, is none of your business. It sounds like you’re the negative Nancy. The defensiveness about the books and seminar people is quite amusing.

I think there is more than one negative Nancy among us.

It's okay. gca80 seeks pure tactical knowledge - he wants the tactics of exactly what to say by someone who has been there and done it. I get it, I really do.

Sid Walker, and many other coaches and speakers, are more 'strategic' in their teaching. They go into the psychology of the salesperson and then into the language that they prefer to elicit a favorable response more often than not.

Considering my own hang-ups and the kind of work I like to do, Sid Walker is a perfect match for me to learn from. If someone was selling P&C or FE, I'm not sure it would be the best way to go. There are other scripts and other teachers.

Back