Single Car Stacking - Mystery Finally Solved

insurance1822

Guru
1000 Post Club
So we have a UM claim coming through & the attorney for the carrier requested all the sign down forms (fortunately we had them from 3 years ago.) I got to talking & here's the scoop.

1.) Insured has 1 car & ends up living with a relative & has a claim. If they're a resident relative they can technically collect on the relative's auto insurance for UM/UIM in addition to their own. This is where the stacking (of essentially two separate policies & limits would apply.)

2.) Insured inherits a car within the grace period of notifying the carrier. Ends up having a claim. Without rejection of stacking you'd be screwed.

So we have a UM claim coming through & the attorney for the carrier requested all the sign down forms (fortunately we had them from 3 years ago.) I got to talking & here's the scoop.

1.) Insured has 1 car & ends up living with a relative & has a claim. If they're a resident relative they can technically collect on the relative's auto insurance for UM/UIM in addition to their own. This is where the stacking (of essentially two separate policies & limits would apply.)

2.) Insured inherits a car within the grace period of notifying the carrier. Ends up having a claim. Without rejection of stacking you'd be screwed.

Going through this now with an insured! We were confused when the claim came in because it wasn't her car nor was she driving. First time I've dealt with it.

Latest posts

Back