Skype for Cold Calling?

Josh

Guru
5000 Post Club
The title is more rhetorical than anything, but I thought you all might find this interesting. From time to time I'll have folks tell me they use Skype for their cold calling and I'm grateful it's on the phone because I tend to roll my eyes when I hear it and here is why:

Cold calling only works when you're making a lot of phone calls, like 50+/hr (dialers are super helpful in that department), but with Skype, on the "unlimited" plan it generally caps you out at 50 different phone numbers in a day. So when people tell me "I use Skype for cold calling because it only costs me $3/month for the unlimited plan" it's an indication to me that they aren't really doing much cold calling.

For anyone not interested in using a dialer, but wanting to use a softphone like Skype, you can download x-lite or another option by 3cx and use a vitelity account to make super cheap phone calls with no daily limit.

I had opened a thread on the similar subject in Technology section. But I wasn't looking for 'cold calling' - instead I'm more interested in having a video call with the people I had contacted before.

I'm not sure how many people would be comfortable on skype - I wont be.

But this is a great idea to push the sale, after 1st contact - because people tend to trust more when they have face to face meeting.

I'm considering iMeet or gotomeeting - and reviewing their pro and cons.

But this is a great idea to push the sale, after 1st contact - because people tend to trust more when they have face to face meeting.

I'm considering iMeet or gotomeeting - and reviewing their pro and cons.

My agents and I have had great success doing this very thing.
With a lead that was internet-generated or one that was cold called but has internet access, you can send a "canned" video, introducing yourself and your qualifications.

This video e-mail (see: www.whatistalkfusion.com) can really put them at ease after or before your initial conversation. All you have to do is insert their e-mail address, subject line, and click on the saved video and it's there.

Another thing that's free is that you can use join.me and have them meet you there to input a "secure number" so that only they can see your screen. Once on your screen, they can see the quotes you're talking about, watch a really quick Powerpoint presentation showing you/your family background, license, etc. It REALLY builds trust to add the video factor.

An advanced step is to run your webcam software while they're on the screenshare, at least at the beginning, so that you can wave to them and smile while you're on the phone with them. This, for some reason, really impresses the folks that you're live on the phone and camera at the same time.

None of this is a replacement for building trust with a good conversation that asks lots of caring and thoughtful questions, but it sure does put their mind at ease when they can see who they're dealing with without having to entertain you in their home. They really enjoy the process.

I use the magicjack app on my iphone, its free, it uses voip and it does not eat up on my cell phone plan, all you need is the wireless link to the internet.

Also some of my colleagues are using the magic jack plus and I believe that after you paid the first amount it is very cheap each year thereafter for phone calls, something like £20.

You have any call quality issues with the MagicJack?

I might need to look into the MagicJack app because my phone quality is terrible where my office is located in the house.

I'm not sure about the security protocols for Skype, but be careful with VOIP (voice over IP) phone services. They're not secure conversations, unless it's encrypted on both ends. So be careful what you talk about with your clients (i.e credit cards, addresses, personal details, etc.) on those services. Do an internet search for security and VOIP and you'll see what I mean.

Back