Small Group In Virginia

Todd King

IMO/FMO Owner
5000 Post Club
Virginia
I'm looking for a good company to sell in Virginia. Preferably one that has good rates and good coverage. Any ideas?

I hate to say it but in most of Virginia, you basically can't compete unless you are selling Anthem. I know this to be especially true in the South and SW areas of Virginia where I once worked.

If you are up north or on the coast, it may be slightly different.
Assurant is close on some lines, but really Anthem crushes everybody.

I'll probably have to look into that more. I've been doing individual through American Republic...can't beat 'em here. Of course that was true in NC until you got the Coventry One which blows the ARIC out to my understanding.

I could do a list bill with ARIC but in the case I'm looking at, I just couldn't get them all qualified, not when the owner has MS and is Bi-Polar!

Group carriers run the gamut. There is usually no such thing as one carrier over another on a consistent basis.

Like the individual business, it runs in cycles.

Right now most of my small groups are going with Humana. A few months ago it was Allied or KP. Before that Blue.

MS and Bipolar will most likely generate a max rate, depending on how many in the group. Only way to know which carrier to use is shop the market and ask each carrier what their max rate up would be.

I have this problem here in Indianapolis. Anthem is the best carrier for anything under 500 lives. Really no one can touch there rates or renewals.

Here is why:
The have formed suck deep discounts in there network that they are able to charge less in premium. This has a huge impact on rates.

My advice in Virgina is find the carriers that own there own networks. That would be a good starting point.
There are carriers that will compete with a rented network but I am seeing less and less of that.

I hate to say it but in most of Virginia, you basically can't compete unless you are selling Anthem. I know this to be especially true in the South and SW areas of Virginia where I once worked.

If you are up north or on the coast, it may be slightly different.
Assurant is close on some lines, but really Anthem crushes everybody.

Back