SmartChoice?? Anyone Done Business Under them

Mehler91

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I am considering going independent and have been referred to this group as a potential way to start up with a handful of P&C carriers.

Anyone dealt with them? Seems to basically have a 70/30 split on commissions which I'm not crazy about.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Just saw a thread on here about someone else going with them.

Not crazy about not having monoline availability and splitting commissions so I may pass.

Last edited:
I am considering going independent and have been referred to this group as a potential way to start up with a handful of P&C carriers.

Anyone dealt with them? Seems to basically have a 70/30 split on commissions which I'm not crazy about.

Not crazy about not having monoline availability and splitting commissions so I may pass.
I'm looking to start my own brokerage and am considering SmartChoice too. My main question relates to the "divorce" clause. In other words, will if I write business thru SmartChoice, am I forever required to pay 30% commissions to them?

They used to be touted on the Allstate agent yahoo group "Running Clock" (for agents preparing for Plan B) a couple of years ago.

Don't have any updates as the group really has no comments
lately

Use the "search" icon in the blue line and enter "Smartchoice" and you will find quite a bit of discussion about them from the Forum Members.

I can't speak to Smartchoice in particular, but every cluster is going to take part of your commission. If splitting commissions is a deal breaker for you, you need to go direct and realize it will be extremely hard to get direct appointments.

There is a price to getting access to carriers, and that is giving up commission. Override or commission splits, either way you are giving up some commission for the access.

I don't know if it differs by state, but definitely be sure you are looking into their exit clause. I know a few agents that have left them in the past, and they were blocked from the markets they were accessing through Smartchoice for a period of time, I believe it was 18 months.

I don't know if it differs by state, but definitely be sure you are looking into their exit clause. I know a few agents that have left them in the past, and they were blocked from the markets they were accessing through Smartchoice for a period of time, I believe it was 18 months.

Every cluster I've looked at has had either required a buyout or blocked you from the carriers you accessed through the cluster for a period of time after you leave.

No one is looking to be your stepping stone. They want someone who is going to be with them for a while and produce some business. Once you get too big for them then it is time to part ways.

I expect to give something up but I also read that there is no binding authority with them up front and quotes can take up to 24 hours to get back. I don't like that.

I almost signed with them, but they did not have enough carriers in pa, they are ok,70/30, up to i think 155k . divorce clause is two years, you can't write with the carriers you wrote with them. look at your local SIAA. Run from gobal green.

They used to be touted on the Allstate agent yahoo group "Running Clock" (for agents preparing for Plan B) a couple of years ago.

Don't have any updates as the group really has no comments
lately

I don't know much about this organization, but anyone going independent should exercise their options in the marketplace, my site includes a directory of over 100 of these types of groups, from clusters to franchises, each state has approximately 20 of these types of groups, so you have a lot of choices. You can a complete listing by going to:
Insurance Agency Clusters & Alliances | AgencyEquity.com

Back