Smoker Rates with Aetna

Golddoor

Guru
100+ Post Club
Texico
When I run quotes with Aetna they do not have an option for smoker or non smoker. When i called and spoke to sales support I was told that I have to submit and underwriting review form and wait 24-48 hours to get a rate. Is that really the case? So if someone calls me for a quote and they smoke I have to tell them its going to take me 24-48 hours just to get you a quote becasue you smoke? WTF?

oh yea...Aetna is having an increase in april.... anywhere from 30% to 42% depending on deductible......

Aetna has no increase for smokers per se. However, they will increase the load on some medical conditions if the client also smokes which is why they want you to send it for a prescreen. If you client has no health conditions and smokes there's no added rate. However if they're overweight and smoke or have HBP and smoke you're looking at a nasty rate up.

sti, spoke with that aetna rep last night, she said the book rates i sent u were wrong and new ones would be comming out.... typical insurance company.... but until i see it with my own eyes and can touch it with my own hands i can only use the rates they sent me..... but with all the customer services problems they are having i don't see them as a player at this point, travel at your own risk..... i won't quote them until the problems are sorted out

Blue has been handing out 30%+ rate increases for the past 2 years and guess what? They still keep the business (even if it is only the bad ones that have no options).

That's what you call stupid.

Aetna is playing the hokey-pokey with regard to individual coverage. They put their right foot in then they take their right foot out . . .

Until they get serious about being a major player (and I don't see any signs of that) they might as well get out. The way they play the game they are subjecting themselves to adverse selection. No way they will pick up the good risks.

somarco said:
Blue has been handing out 30%+ rate increases for the past 2 years and guess what? They still keep the business (even if it is only the bad ones that have no options).

That's what you call stupid.

Aetna is playing the hokey-pokey with regard to individual coverage. They put their right foot in then they take their right foot out . . .

Until they get serious about being a major player (and I don't see any signs of that) they might as well get out. The way they play the game they are subjecting themselves to adverse selection. No way they will pick up the good risks.

28% rate hike in VA with Aetna AND they dumped maternity. That doesn't bode well with me. Sound like the actuaries didn't do their homework and now they're back-peddling to make up for bad claims experience. Also sounds to me like their arrogance will do them in. They got into the individual market with their head up their ass - zero broker support - and figured just their name would make them a giant. Guess what, unless the broker community is in love with you then you're going under or you'll always be a "also ran."

Back