So has anyone tried another telemarketer?

GP32765

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Does anyone suggest another telemarketer out there? I googled telemarketing services and there are tons of Companies. Anyone heard about other Companies?

Be careful. Rates that make you say "wow" are normally off-shore; Phillipines or India. Domestic rates are very expensive. Some will allow you to actually listen in on live calls.

Telemarketers work well in some markets, not so in others.

I have tried several over the years and not found any to be worthwhile for Atlanta. I also know folks in other industries (B2B) that have all but abandoned telemarketing. Low lead volume and even lower quality.

I agree with Somarco - it is extremely market dependent. I have solid marketers working for me who call one zip code and completely kick ass, then call me after a I give them another zip code and say "this is horrible." I know it's not them - they're the same ones cranking out 2 very high quality leads per hour week after week. Switch zip codes? Now it's a crap shoot. I sometimes have to give them 2 or 3 different areas to find one where it's banging out for them.

I personally still do phenominally well with telemarketed leads - much better than shared but obviously a LOT more effort.

I agree with Somarco - it is extremely market dependent. I have solid marketers working for me who call one zip code and completely kick ass, then call me after a I give them another zip code and say "this is horrible." I know it's not them - they're the same ones cranking out 2 very high quality leads per hour week after week. Switch zip codes? Now it's a crap shoot. I sometimes have to give them 2 or 3 different areas to find one where it's banging out for them.

I personally still do phenominally well with telemarketed leads - much better than shared but obviously a LOT more effort.

John, you mentioned on another post that you are now seeing your prospects vs making the sale via the CPU route. What do you plan to do when you run out of zip codes to call that are close enough to drive to?

By the time my marketers are calling about 30 minutes driving distance from my house they just start all over again. Then again, I live in a immensly popluated area - I'm right between Baltimore and DC.

And I do a mix now - some in-person and some on the phone.

Ok, yea, it will be awhile before you run out of numbers to dial. I lived in Howard County for a about a year. Nice area.

Being about 5-6 weeks in the Health business, I was trying to conduct everything by tel/cpu appointments... I am now mixing it up as well and can definitely see the benefit. Especially since I feel I am finally turning the corner on the learning curve for this business.

Next week I am going to telemarket for a couple hours a day 2-3 times a week just so I know what I should expect from future telemarketers I will be hiring in the future.

Thanks for all your help John, and the input of others on this forum. It has really helped.

Al

There are some deals it's just more difficult to close on the phone. Since I get telemarketed leads right in my area it's dumb for me not to just go and see those people. I can guarantee you the HSA sale is much easier in person. Families are also easier in person. Not to say you can't close them on the phone. You can. It's just a bit more tedious.

Ok, yea, it will be awhile before you run out of numbers to dial. I lived in Howard County for a about a year. Nice area.

Being about 5-6 weeks in the Health business, I was trying to conduct everything by tel/cpu appointments... I am now mixing it up as well and can definitely see the benefit. Especially since I feel I am finally turning the corner on the learning curve for this business.

Next week I am going to telemarket for a couple hours a day 2-3 times a week just so I know what I should expect from future telemarketers I will be hiring in the future.

Thanks for all your help John, and the input of others on this forum. It has really helped.

Al

I'm not an expert in health sales, but in general, when you have a new product or line, you want to stick with in person presentations, at least for a while. You get to see the person, see how they react, and its an opportunity to learn how things you say get understood by the person who hears them. This is almost impossible to do over the phone, since you can't see their reaction. What they say isn't necessarily what their body is thinking.

For my P&C sales, while I prefer doing these in person, I've been doing them long enough that I can do the entire transaction via phone, and have a really good close ratio on the sale. For P&C, what I lose by doing it via the phone is a lot of the good upsell opportunity. Also, the customers I meet in person are much more loyal and stay with me longer.

Insurance is a relationship business. Meeting my clients is the reason I do this. Have I met them all? No. I prefer to, but it doesn't always work out. I don't compete against the e-surance, progressive, geico's of the world, or, actually, I do. People come to me to be their 'insurance guy', the one person they can call with whatever question and I'll work with them. They don't get this from an online service.

Dan

There's no argument at all that in-person is far superior than over the phone. That's not to say that you can't sell over the phone - you obviously can. But the sales process is easier and like stated, better opportunity to cross sell in person. I also do much better on HSAs in person then over the phone.

I also don't know many new agents doing well on the phone. Very experienced agents can pull off phone sales easily since they know exactly what they say and come across as absolute experts over the phone. Newbies cannot pull that off.

I simply enjoy the mix. I know at this point in my career who to meet with and who to sign up online. I get leads marketed in my area so I'm not driving far to see anyone and I do not run night appointments.

Back