So How Many Calls a Day Should I Make?

What if they buy $300 worth of leads and they don't sell any of those clients. Advice like yours is why agents, at least 90% of them that fail, do so with more debt and are more broke than they were when they started.
What if they buy $300 and sell $1,200? ALL businesses involve risk - anybody that can't afford to lose $300 doesn't belong in the business in the first place!

It's either ROE (return on sweat equity) or ROI (return on investment).

Here's another point: if you see 10 people face-to-face... and can't sell ANY of them... it's might not be a capitalization problem as it could be a lack of skills problem.

It's relatively easy to do 60 dials an hour and present prospecting offers to about 5 prospects in that hour. If you have a good script and you deliver it well, you'll probably get about one appointment per 40 to 70 offers.

That depends on the product (or service) you are selling and how you sound on the phone. Listen to yourself while you are presenting, by using a tape recorder.

If you call the same prospecting list every 3 to 4 weeks, and change your prospecting offer (for the same product) each time you call, the number of appointments are most likely to gradually increase.

Notes:
About 20% of prospects don't like their current coverage and/or their current agent.
The best prospects are often those who already have plenty of insurance and plenty of money.
Prospects who just want to save some money, are harder to sell and usually stick with what they've got, which may be nothing.
Two good list brokers that are about 90% accurate, and inexpensive, are CIT in New York and InfoUSA.

Last edited:
I don't think that you can just keep calling for the appointment. It's probably better to call to build a relationship. They don't want to meet with you for 15 minutes. Why would they? Good information for a first call may be to find out if they have an agent. What's that agents name? What do they like most about the agent and what that agent does for them. If they don't have an agent, ask if it would be okay to stay in touch. If they agree, ask for their e-mail. Add them to a weekly email newsletter. The first call may be just worth getting their email and maybe finding out a concern.

Don't underestimate the number of calls you may need to make. I think if you can get 1 email for 100 calls you are doing well. You may even run across some today leads.

I am still curious why the insurance industry does not have a ton of information about how to generate cold market leads. It seems dangerous to rely on a third party to generate leads.

I don't think that you can just keep calling for the appointment. It's probably better to call to build a relationship. They don't want to meet with you for 15 minutes. Why would they? Good information for a first call may be to find out if they have an agent. What's that agents name? What do they like most about the agent and what that agent does for them. If they don't have an agent, ask if it would be okay to stay in touch. If they agree, ask for their e-mail. Add them to a weekly email newsletter. The first call may be just worth getting their email and maybe finding out a concern.

Don't underestimate the number of calls you may need to make. I think if you can get 1 email for 100 calls you are doing well. You may even run across some today leads.

I am still curious why the insurance industry does not have a ton of information about how to generate cold market leads. It seems dangerous to rely on a third party to generate leads.
:)

It depends a lot on the market the agent works... Some markets thrive on DM and TM leads and a 20 minute first appointment closes.. And, I really don't care who their agent is.. I intend to be their agent when I leave.. :yes:

Back