So why the Hell should any independent agent sell Sagicor?

Surancedawg

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Just saw this ad pop up on Facebook. They emphasize how quick and easy it is to buy Sagicor directly online without the hassle of dealing with agents. I get telemarketer recordings everyday from this company trying to recruit me to sell for them.

Just saw this ad pop up on Facebook. They emphasize how quick and easy it is to buy Sagicor directly online without the hassle of dealing with agents. I get telemarketer recordings everyday from this company trying to recruit me to sell for them.

Many companies sell direct and I have no real problem with unless they emphasize "no Agent" implying dealing with an agent is a bad thing or they try to market direct to my clients I placed with them. I will not contract with a company that does either of these things.

This ad and the website for SagicorNow DOES highlight how quick and easy it is to buy insurance without an agent. That's why it got my attention.

Last edited:
Many carriers run DTC ads. So what?

Raises awareness for the product.

Look at all the carrier ads for AEP. Do agents quit the business because of that?

I write more business during AEP than any other time of year.

Why?

Because AARP, BX, Aetna, Humana et al spend MILLIONS on ads.

A rising tide lifts all boats.

Many carriers run DTC ads. So what?

Raises awareness for the product.

Look at all the carrier ads for AEP. Do agents quit the business because of that?

I write more business during AEP than any other time of year.

Why?

Because AARP, BX, Aetna, Humana et al spend MILLIONS on ads.

A rising tide lifts all boats.
. They can run all kinds of direct response ads without implying dealing with an agent is a bad thing. That is my only objection. If you are going to market through agents then don't disparage them in your direct marketing.

. They can run all kinds of direct response ads without implying dealing with an agent is a bad thing. That is my only objection. If you are going to market through agents then don't disparage them in your direct marketing.
I agree. Too many carriers out there with great comparable products. It's too easy for us to write something else instead. Not very smart on their end.

Other than AARP/UHC, BX and Omaha consumers will never know about most of the also ran carriers. All three of those carriers write a fair amount on a direct basis.

If a carrier wants to cut out the agent, nothing I can do about that. True, I don't have to contract with them or put business with them if they do want to build a wall between agents and the carrier.

If this were a level playing field we wouldn't have agents twisting the facts just to make a sale. But it happens.

The way I view it is this. If a consumer wants to buy direct or from a shady agent, so what. In some cases I even encourage it. They are not the kind of people I want as clients.

People come to me for information and advice they won't get anywhere else. I know my competition, and I know the crap they pull. I don't like it but don't let it get to me.

My sites have a quote engine where consumers can run their own rates. I have had consumer facing quote engines for probably 20 years, starting with U65 health insurance and now Medigap. If they just want rates they can get them here. But if they want more they will have to talk with me.

Friday I had 3 prospects run rates and almost immediately opt out of my autoresponder. No problem. I purged them from my database. No need to waste any time on them. Kind of like the garbage taking itself out. Just leaves me more time to work with those that really want my help.

Carriers do a lot of stupid things they believe will save money. They constantly mail and call MY clients in hopes of selling them something else. I don't like it but what can I do about it?

Not a thing.

If a client wants to fall for that BS I don't need them as a client any more.

I have had carriers "lose" applications I submitted, including e-apps, and I don't find out until the client never shows on the commission run. Others have paid me for a few months then a client calls them and suddenly they become a house account.

Again, I usually don't find out until the commissions stop.

When I was writing U65 business I had to audit my commissions almost every month. Aetna was one of the worst for "forgetting" to pay me. But BX, Humana and others did the same. Some even told me to get an AOR letter if I wanted to be paid after they switched my client to a house account.

Most of the time the client never even knew I was no longer their agent until I told them.

There are a lot of crooked agents out there but every carrier will cut off an agent at the drop of a hat.

It's just another issue in life to deal with. If I held a grudge against every carrier that pulls those kind of tricks I would not have anyone left to use.

The best way I know to get back at a carrier that "disses" the agent is to put good business with other carriers and stick them with as much bad business as possible.

I have one carrier that only gets my GI business. My only regret is that I don't have more to offer them.

The point of my original post is that this outfit is AGGRESSIVELY recruiting independent agents to sell for them. They leave messages once, sometime twice a day on my voicemail. When I see a message from Porter, TX I know to just delete it right away, 'cos its just another of their damn recorded recruiting messages. No other company pesters me to represent them like Sagicor does.

The difference between this bunch and, say, AIG which also sells direct-to-consumer and with whom I'm appointed, is that in none of their marketing do they imply the consumer is better off bypassing agents when buying.

Personally, I think Sagicor is offering some pretty stupid advice to consumers by suggesting they're better off not using an agent. Term Life in particular, with its wide array of coverage and rider options, is a fairly complex subject and not one an amateur by themselves can make an informed decision about.

Other than AARP/UHC, BX and Omaha consumers will never know about most of the also ran carriers. All three of those carriers write a fair amount on a direct basis.

If a carrier wants to cut out the agent, nothing I can do about that. True, I don't have to contract with them or put business with them if they do want to build a wall between agents and the carrier.

If this were a level playing field we wouldn't have agents twisting the facts just to make a sale. But it happens.

The way I view it is this. If a consumer wants to buy direct or from a shady agent, so what. In some cases I even encourage it. They are not the kind of people I want as clients.

People come to me for information and advice they won't get anywhere else. I know my competition, and I know the crap they pull. I don't like it but don't let it get to me.

My sites have a quote engine where consumers can run their own rates. I have had consumer facing quote engines for probably 20 years, starting with U65 health insurance and now Medigap. If they just want rates they can get them here. But if they want more they will have to talk with me.

Friday I had 3 prospects run rates and almost immediately opt out of my autoresponder. No problem. I purged them from my database. No need to waste any time on them. Kind of like the garbage taking itself out. Just leaves me more time to work with those that really want my help.

Carriers do a lot of stupid things they believe will save money. They constantly mail and call MY clients in hopes of selling them something else. I don't like it but what can I do about it?

Not a thing.

If a client wants to fall for that BS I don't need them as a client any more.

I have had carriers "lose" applications I submitted, including e-apps, and I don't find out until the client never shows on the commission run. Others have paid me for a few months then a client calls them and suddenly they become a house account.

Again, I usually don't find out until the commissions stop.

When I was writing U65 business I had to audit my commissions almost every month. Aetna was one of the worst for "forgetting" to pay me. But BX, Humana and others did the same. Some even told me to get an AOR letter if I wanted to be paid after they switched my client to a house account.

Most of the time the client never even knew I was no longer their agent until I told them.

There are a lot of crooked agents out there but every carrier will cut off an agent at the drop of a hat.

It's just another issue in life to deal with. If I held a grudge against every carrier that pulls those kind of tricks I would not have anyone left to use.

The best way I know to get back at a carrier that "disses" the agent is to put good business with other carriers and stick them with as much bad business as possible.

I have one carrier that only gets my GI business. My only regret is that I don't have more to offer them.

I sell tons of Progressive despite Flo and Jaime pushing the "Name your price tool"... same concept... if you sold only on the principal that you are a carriers only source of business consider this... What if they tout how great Indy agents are... Doesn't that also promote about 38499 of your direct competition? Sell what's best for your customer regardless of this sort of minutia, and you will promote the value of an agent far more than taking a knee during Sagicor commercials.

I sell tons of Progressive despite Flo and Jaime pushing the "Name your price tool"... same concept... if you sold only on the principal that you are a carriers only source of business consider this... What if they tout how great Indy agents are... Doesn't that also promote about 38499 of your direct competition? Sell what's best for your customer regardless of this sort of minutia, and you will promote the value of an agent far more than taking a knee during Sagicor commercials.
Progressive does not put down agents in their ads.. In fact, with the "talk to me " system they use online agents.

Latest posts

Back