Social Security Workshops

LRBruegg

We are contemplating Social Security workshops as a service to our clients and community and as a means of lead generation. Rather than reinventing the wheel, we are hoping to jumpstart our efforts with some of the best practices from those who are ahead of us in this game. On issue in particular, what have been some productive ways of getting butts in the seats? This marketing piece is something we are wrestling with and would appreciate any helpful advice.

First, there are two kinds of social security workshops:
- There are those done by someone from your local SS office.
- Those done by the advisor to talk about various ways to 'time' social security benefits to maximize the payout (assuming you know when they're going to die, right?).

Are you keeping up with the latest from Washington?
- http://www.insurance-forums.net/for...ombshell-file-suspend-almost-gone-t78405.html

Just because it WAS a great marketing tool... doesn't mean that it always will be.

Thanks, for your reply and comment.

Yes, aware of the latest changes under the Biparitsan Budget Act of 2015. I think it's the first of more changes coming. Has compelled us to make some tweaks in our presentation.

Q ... have you done any webinars on SS? I would like to venture into this areana but am in need of technology savvy and information. Suggestions?

Guru ... have you done, and are you still doing SS workshops? If so, what were some of your best practices?

I have not done a social security workshop in a long time.

The last time I did one... I used a speaker from the local Social Security office. Definitely had a good turnout... but not a great presentation.

If I was to do one today, I'd base it on a couple of case studies using visual retirement income software (such as Torrid Technologies RetirementView), and then use a software package like Social Security Timing to help determine pros and cons of each strategy. Then invite those that attended to meet with you to meet one on one.

The reason to use visual software is so they can get a sense of the retirement cash flow and/or how their assets will work around the various strategies.

Just come up with 3 different planning/timing scenarios and just make it more of a conversation than a presentation.

Anyway, that's what I'd do, but I'm not doing that right now.

I have not done a social security workshop in a long time.

The last time I did one... I used a speaker from the local Social Security office. Definitely had a good turnout... but not a great presentation.

If I was to do one today, I'd base it on a couple of case studies using visual retirement income software (such as Torrid Technologies RetirementView), and then use a software package like Social Security Timing to help determine pros and cons of each strategy. Then invite those that attended to meet with you to meet one on one.

The reason to use visual software is so they can get a sense of the retirement cash flow and/or how their assets will work around the various strategies.

Just come up with 3 different planning/timing scenarios and just make it more of a conversation than a presentation.

Anyway, that's what I'd do, but I'm not doing that right now.

If you did do that when you met with them personally would you sign them up for social security as well? Or would you just be trying to pitch insurance sales to them?

The workshop was primarily a value-add, client-appreciation, educational-informative type of workshop. I never enrolled anyone for their social security benefits or anything like that. Nor did we use it to "pitch" anything. It was purely informative. That was it.

The workshop was primarily a value-add, client-appreciation, educational-informative type of workshop. I never enrolled anyone for their social security benefits or anything like that. Nor did we use it to "pitch" anything. It was purely informative. That was it.

Only because you said something about inviting them afterward for one on one meetings did I think you were pitching to them.

That's how I would do it now - you always ask for them to meet with you one-on-one for a customized recommendation and analysis.

Back then, that's not what we did, and I don't recommend doing it that way. It really was a waste of time, poor presenter/speaker, etc. However, it was well attended. I think we had 30 people attend that one, if I remember correctly.

Back