Social Security

StoneRiver

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Any suggestions on good resources for when someone should start receiving Social Security? Thank you

Funny I was just talking to a gentleman yesterday about Social Security and he was saying how his wife is thinking about fully retiring like him, and she's deciding if she wants to take Social Security or not since she might work 1-2 more years.

I told him, have her file and suspend, and take the spousal option while her's grows deferred. They have alright health so it wasn't one of those "better take it before you die" scenarios. He just looked at me like I was pulling his leg...I told him couples have options when it comes to Social Security and this one little option can up your spendable income later on when inflation is taking down their standard of living. He wasn't having none of it, I might as well been wearing a shaman's head-dress and blowing sand on him LOL. American's have no idea about Social Security do they??

Frankly, I didn't pay much attention to it until last year when a friend lost her husband after a brief illness. She is around 60 but is able to collect a widow's benefit. I thought that was only available if you had kids under 18 or you were at least 62.

Started looking into it and discovered it was much more complex than I was aware. This book was very helpful.

Funny I was just talking to a gentleman yesterday about Social Security and he was saying how his wife is thinking about fully retiring like him, and she's deciding if she wants to take Social Security or not since she might work 1-2 more years. I told him, have her file and suspend, and take the spousal option while her's grows deferred. They have alright health so it wasn't one of those "better take it before you die" scenarios. He just looked at me like I was pulling his leg...I told him couples have options when it comes to Social Security and this one little option can up your spendable income later on when inflation is taking down their standard of living. He wasn't having none of it, I might as well been wearing a shaman's head-dress and blowing sand on him LOL. American's have no idea about Social Security do they??
if she takes the spousal, then he would do the filing and suspending. But it won't work if he's not 66. Also, she won't get the full spousal if she's not 66. She can get what's called the spousal excess prior to age 66, but he would still have to be 66 and filed

Back