Social Services Giving Rides to Clients

Hello! I insure a community outreach group. They want to provide rides to doctor appts, interviews, hearing etc. to their clients. They do not have any auto policy but want to use employees and volunteers to provide rides. I don't know of any insurer willing to cover this type of arrangement. They have gl with hired and non-owned but that is all.

I suggested they purchase an auto for the organization and use it exclusively, that is the only work around I can think of but they do not want that option.

There is a board member who is an insurance agent (captive so I am sure he can't write it) and insists that we can provide coverage.

Anyone every encounter this with other nonprofits or churches?

Insurance follows the vehicle. The Outreach is covered by the hired and non owned but the risk falls on the people that are brining them to appointments. If they are volunteering their time and vehicle and not taking any compensation then there is no issue with a PAP. Once they take reimbursement or money for doing it, it becomes public livery and the PAP will deny coverage.

I had asked the carrier about the hired/non owned covering this and they said they would not cover the rides for clients and would cancel the policy if this service was provided.

I guess my question is what carrier will extend coverage non owned vehicles for giving rides for no fee. Honesty has not paid - I have received 5 declines when I disclosed their intent on the gl....

Are you trying to get the Hired and non owned to be primary coverage so the volunteers are secondary?

Or are they declining just based on being secondary and providing rides?

What state? What carrier?

Back