Soft Market Marketing ?

1manshow

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pa
This past year was our first year ever to stop all TV, Radio and newspaper advertising due to the current soft market. Among some of the other new directions we have taken in marketing, the radiused mailings have been producing very good results for us. Any of you who are looking for new avenues of marketing should consider looking into this. We've been working with a company called bk2 marketing and they have been very helpful in all areas of the process.

FYI: In our case, radiused mailings are mailings to the closest 50 neighbors to the client we just sold a private passenger auto policy to. The postcard actually says the name and address of the client we just wrote etc, etc. We added some testimonials from existing clients to spice things up a bit, and it is working better than we had hoped.

FYI: In our case, radiused mailings are mailings to the closest 50 neighbors to the client we just sold a private passenger auto policy to. The postcard actually says the name and address of the client we just wrote etc, etc.

You don't run into any privacy issues? I would not want my 50 closest neighbors know whom I used as an agent or that I had insurance, or anything at all related to my financial position.

I hope you ask your client for permission before you broadcast their "private' information all over the place.

Just my opinion. YMMV.

Al

Let's see... an insurance agent with a TV advertising budget... An insurance agent that hasn't been lectured multiple times about protecting clients privacy, etc, etc, etc....

Do you think the original poster is an agent? I might be wrong, but my guess is he works for the company he posted about.

This method of marketing works for real estate transactions, but probably not auto insurance. Even with real estate, they usually only list the address, not the name, even though it is all public record.

Dan

I did something similar when I had a carpet cleaning business and got some angry calls. I was in my twenties then so it was a long time ago. The calls have finally stopped.

I suppose if you got the insured's permission IN WRITING, it might be worth a try, but I don't see it as being an effective technique. I barely know my neighbors who own the houses that sandwich mine. Let alone 48 others.

I'd drop my policy and try to take legal action against any agent who put my name in a radiused mailing without my permission.

Last edited:
This past year was our first year ever to stop all TV, Radio and newspaper advertising due to the current soft market. Among some of the other new directions we have taken in marketing, the radiused mailings have been producing very good results for us. Any of you who are looking for new avenues of marketing should consider looking into this. We've been working with a company called bk2 marketing and they have been very helpful in all areas of the process.

FYI: In our case, radiused mailings are mailings to the closest 50 neighbors to the client we just sold a private passenger auto policy to. The postcard actually says the name and address of the client we just wrote etc, etc. We added some testimonials from existing clients to spice things up a bit, and it is working better than we had hoped.

Wow! Why don't you just mail the names and addresses of your last 50 sales to your competitor so he can follow-up with them and make sure they are happy with your service.

No wonder market conditions are tough for you.

Wow, plenty of naysayers here !! Just trying to share some successful marketing ideas fellas. No real interest in pitching for the marketing co. other than the radiused mailing concept in general.

I've actually been blessed enough to have 21 years in this business working mainly with Erie Insurance Group. Gave up an engineering career to start a scratch agency in 1986. Thank God for giving me the foresight to develop a career helping others in this industry and for allowing me to provide for my family better than I ever thought was possible.

Yes, we do get our clients permission to use their name and address, most are very willing to help us out.

Newby, My competition is the least of my concern !! We sell service and our reputation with each contract and my persistency is among the highest in the company (another blessing) However, I did not become the largest personal lines agent in my town by worrying about my competition getting ahold of my clients info. I also did not say market conditions were tough for me. They are actually quite good for me. I was simply trying to help share some ideas that were working in a "soft market"

DJS, you are welcome to keep selling the way you are selling. I actually have a staff that does my selling for me and they appreciate the new leads they are receiving from my marketing concepts.

I would be glad to share a copy of the postcard I use with anyone who thinks they may benefit from it.

Wow, plenty of naysayers here !! Just trying to share some successful marketing ideas fellas. No real interest in pitching for the marketing co. other than the radiused mailing concept in general.

I've actually been blessed enough to have 21 years in this business working mainly with Erie Insurance Group. Gave up an engineering career to start a scratch agency in 1986. Thank God for giving me the foresight to develop a career helping others in this industry and for allowing me to provide for my family better than I ever thought was possible.

Yes, we do get our clients permission to use their name and address, most are very willing to help us out.

Newby, My competition is the least of my concern !! We sell service and our reputation with each contract and my persistency is among the highest in the company (another blessing) However, I did not become the largest personal lines agent in my town by worrying about my competition getting ahold of my clients info. I also did not say market conditions were tough for me. They are actually quite good for me. I was simply trying to help share some ideas that were working in a "soft market"

DJS, you are welcome to keep selling the way you are selling. I actually have a staff that does my selling for me and they appreciate the new leads they are receiving from my marketing concepts.

I would be glad to share a copy of the postcard I use with anyone who thinks they may benefit from it.

I'm sorry. (I wanted to say I apoligize but I can't spell it correctly) I did post a smart-alec reply and I try to stay out of that sort of thing to people who are posting serious posts. I took your post to say you were having hard times since you said "due to the current soft market"

I think it's good to use the testimonials of some of your loyal clients in advertising. I just wouldn't want too much of my client list being passed around freely. Maybe I'm paranoid.

I'll be the first to admit that when I read your original post, I couldn't see the value of radius marketing. If it works for you, great! I do a lot of auto insurance, and that isn't even close to a soft market (close to a record week this week).

The fact you get your clients permission to do this changes my perspective on it. It is a great marketing concept, just somewhat hard to implement. Okay, call me lazy, since I do a lot of this, without the radius part.

I'd be interested in seeing the card you use. I find nuggets in a lot of marketing materials I see.

Dan

Apparently the file is too large to post on the board ?? I'm not much of a computer whiz..... I'd be glad to forward it if you'll PM me with an email I can send it to.

I would also be interested in a copy of you post card. I open a new agency in August and besides the usual internet lead sites I am fairly clueless on how to run successful traditional marketing campaigns.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Latest posts

Back