Solicitation in Doctor Offices for MAPD

maniacagent

Guru
100+ Post Club
I was in a doctor office today.....technically, I was in the waiting room. I was waiting in line for the secretary and to my right was a closed circuit TV. The non-stop advertisement was for HUMANA Medicare Advantage plans.

It occurred to me that someone is getting paid somewhere to allow this "advertising" inside a hospital complex. This was not just a silent picture on the TV screen, but full volume advertisng describing how you could buy this from HUMANA.

The dollar signs ran before my eyes. I stood in line and I could not solicit the people around me for MAPD as I am an agent regulated by CMS. However here's HUMANA blaring to the same
patients with HUMANA literature right there to sign up.

Who is paying who on this? Why can HUMANA blast a closed circuit TV screen to patients in a doctor office INSIDE A HOSPITAL COMPLEX, MIND YOU....but I, a lowly insurance agent cannot say a word?

We are a communist society, folks. A voice on TV can sell MAPD to the guy in front of you in the doc's office, but YOU CAN'T SAY A WORD to the same guy as a licensed agent. What have I missed? Is a waiting room a "common area" or not? What's the deal?

i damn sure can and would..... even if i WAS selling MA plans i would pop off with my cell phone to my ear that i sold MA;s and provide service and this clown on tv is stupid... i would also say if they wanted to purchase to call me... again all into the answering macine of my cell phone

These CC Tv's rent space on the Dr's office wall. Not sure how much they pay the offc, but it is a sizable sum... and also they can tune that TV into basketball games when the office is empty... (that may be an exageration, not sure).

Just another part of our commercial society. Why not ask the Dr's office if you can display a placard with your card and a brochure about Sr Med Ins solutions...? I do send a letter each week to several Dr's offc's, along with 6 or 8 cardsenclosed, letting them know that I counsel Sr's on Medicare Supplemental Benefit choices... then follow it up with a call to the Dr's offc within the week... I have just started doing this so it is too new to tell if I will get any referrals back.

Recently had a Dr that I know comment that he gets patients asking him all the time about Medicare and what is best to do, he said he doesn't know what to tell them... now he knows to tell them to call me. Again, real recent convo so this is what prompted me to enlarge the marketing effort of mailing to other physicians in my area... Is it worth sending out 10 letters a week... at a cost of 5 bucks, then following up with a call or two to their offc... I think it will certainly pay some dividends in time... but will let you know.

These CC Tv's rent space on the Dr's office wall. Not sure how much they pay the offc, but it is a sizable sum... and also they can tune that TV into basketball games when the office is empty... (that may be an exageration, not sure).

Just another part of our commercial society. Why not ask the Dr's office if you can display a placard with your card and a brochure about Sr Med Ins solutions...? I do send a letter each week to several Dr's offc's, along with 6 or 8 cardsenclosed, letting them know that I counsel Sr's on Medicare Supplemental Benefit choices... then follow it up with a call to the Dr's offc within the week... I have just started doing this so it is too new to tell if I will get any referrals back.

Recently had a Dr that I know comment that he gets patients asking him all the time about Medicare and what is best to do, he said he doesn't know what to tell them... now he knows to tell them to call me. Again, real recent convo so this is what prompted me to enlarge the marketing effort of mailing to other physicians in my area... Is it worth sending out 10 letters a week... at a cost of 5 bucks, then following up with a call or two to their offc... I think it will certainly pay some dividends in time... but will let you know.

Thank you, sportsnut. You have given invaluable insights and they are much appreciated by this lowly agent.

What I am still trying to figure out is why HUMANA can solicit....I mean to me this is solicitation...or maybe it isn't as it is a TV and not a person. Whatever it is it seems unfair to me...

What I am still trying to figure out is why HUMANA can solicit....I mean to me this is solicitation...or maybe it isn't as it is a TV and not a person. Whatever it is it seems unfair to me...

It is the same as any other TV ad... albeit, closed circuit TV... aka Brain-washing their patients.

Keep in mind HUGE ins cos pay lobbyists fat sums of Ca$h to be able to continue to do such things. If we could afford lobbyists, we would be able to do things that we now cannot. Shite rolls downhill, always.

We are a communist society, folks. A voice on TV can sell MAPD to the guy in front of you in the doc's office, but YOU CAN'T SAY A WORD to the same guy as a licensed agent. What have I missed? Is a waiting room a "common area" or not? What's the deal?

No, we are a capitalist society, and HUMANA has more money than you do. It's a TV ad, even if it's closed circuit.

No, we are a capitalist society, and HUMANA has more money than you do. It's a TV ad, even if it's closed circuit.

Wrong

We have become a "crony capitalist" society. Humana has more cronies in DC and therefore will have the feds arrest you, revoke your license, and throw you in CMS jail if you try to sell MAPD's on their "turf." (aka the waiting room)

Who agrees with me?

Who agrees with FloridaLady?

Back