Some food for thought when calling your leads!

MHart

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Got this from my monthly Blue Cross Sales Rep:

Something for you to think about when you are calling your leads.

Call on good prospects as many times as it takes to sell them.
About 80% of sales are made on the fifth call or later, yet studies
have shown:
• Up to 50% of America’s salespeople call on a prospect just
one time, then quit
• 18% call on a prospect twice, then give up
• 7% call three times, and then call it quits
• 5% call on a prospect four times before quitting
• Only 20% call on a prospect five or more times before they
quit
Here’s the kicker: Those 20% of salespeople close 80% of the
sales in America! You don’t have to become a dynamic personality
to sell. You don’t have to put pressure on people or out-talk people
to sell. The most effective thing you can do is to apply your own
selling savvy, which adds strength to your persuasion, and then​
just keep selling!

Got this from my monthly Blue Cross Sales Rep:​

Something for you to think about when you are calling your leads.

Call on good prospects as many times as it takes to sell them.
About 80% of sales are made on the fifth call or later, yet studies
have shown:
• Up to 50% of America’s salespeople call on a prospect just
one time, then quit
• 18% call on a prospect twice, then give up
• 7% call three times, and then call it quits
• 5% call on a prospect four times before quitting
• Only 20% call on a prospect five or more times before they
quit
Here’s the kicker: Those 20% of salespeople close 80% of the
sales in America! You don’t have to become a dynamic personality
to sell. You don’t have to put pressure on people or out-talk people
to sell. The most effective thing you can do is to apply your own
selling savvy, which adds strength to your persuasion, and then
just keep selling!

That is so true. I know agents who spend hundreds of dollars each month buying leads and the ones they don't sell get thrown in the trash.

I told one of them to send them to me. I would get licensed in that state and sell the hell out of them. Sometimes it may take a year or so, but I will sell a fair number of them.

There are those who will say, "You can't do any good with a "cold lead". I don't care how old the "lead" is. It is still a name of a person who will some day will decide to change their insurance.

I sell insurance all the time to people that I have talked to over 12 months ago.

Give me your tired, hungry... and don't forget to send me your "cold leads". LOL

I talked to an agent a few weeks ago who claims he buys 400 leads a month and only calls once.

I may go overboard with the number of times I call and the time I spend romancing the lead, but it does pay off.

I rarely call more than three times. Of course, I will email another 3-4 times (over a 30-day period).

After I have left messages (for example)...

on Monday June 1
on Wednesday June 3
on Wednesday June 10

and gotten answering machines each time...I just dread making that 4th call. But every so often (and I'm sure this has happened to you)...when I reluctantly call on June 17th...they say, "I'm glad you called. I was going to call you."

Oh...if only there was a caller ID system that told you what the person's response was going to be on the other line.

I basically only sell group health, which means that I almost always am able to contact my leads. Nevertheless, most of my sales seem to be a year or two after I first made contact.
The nice thing is that the renewal date is the same each year so you know exactly when to call them. It is only a matter of time before their broker pisses them off/they get rated to wazoo/the HR directors wifes doctor wasn't in network etc...

most of my sales seem to be a year or two after I first made contact

That's the way the group business is. Terribly long gestation period, especially for the larger groups. Even the smaller ones can take months to quote and then a few more months before the first commission check arrives.

The last time I started from scratch in large groups it took me 6 months to write my first case and 2 more months to get my first check.

I don't have that kind of patience any more.

One of the reasons my closing ratio is so poor is because I don't do this. I don't call clients 5 times unless I know it's a deal - and I can tell. I especially don't call again when after the 1st call if they gave me a time to call back, I call back and they're very short:

"Listen John, I still don't have any time to go over this and I'm just swamped. I have your information and why don't I just give you a call after I've gone through the information."

Yes...I could call that person back in a few days, a week or a month later. I don't have the energy. ROI for me is simply too good even closing 1 out of 20 and I pay $4 for exclusive leads which means $80 returns $800.

I'd rather just get another 20 leads then spend my day entire day talking to jerks who love to put me off. My services are extremely valuable and I only work with people who want my services. For the record, I agree with this post. If you make call after call you will make a lot more sales. For me, 90% of all my leads never get a second call.

Back