Some Input on IFP Benefits

John,

Here's what Lumenos covers on their plans at no cost for preventative care (this is probably identical to the services BCC requires at Healthy Check Centers).

ADULT PREVENTATIVE CARE:
-Office visits after age 18
-Screening for coronary artery, colorectal cancer, prostate, diabetes & osteoporsis. Also includes mammograms, pelvic exams, PAP, & Contraceptive management
-Immunizations - Hep A&B, Diptheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Chix Pox, Flu, Pneumonia & HPV

WELL BABY AND WELL CHILD:
-Office visits through age 18
-Screening for vision, hearing and lead exposure. Also Pelvic, PAP and contraceptive for females age 18 or sexually active
-Immunizations - Hep A&B, Diptheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Chix Pox, Flu, Pneumonia, HPV, H. Influenza Type B, Polio, Measles, Mumps Rubella (MMR)

Dave

John,

Here's what Lumenos covers on their plans at no cost for preventative care (this is probably identical to the services BCC requires at Healthy Check Centers).

ADULT PREVENTATIVE CARE:
-Office visits after age 18
-Screening for coronary artery, colorectal cancer, prostate, diabetes & osteoporsis. Also includes mammograms, pelvic exams, PAP, & Contraceptive management
-Immunizations - Hep A&B, Diptheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Chix Pox, Flu, Pneumonia & HPV

WELL BABY AND WELL CHILD:
-Office visits through age 18
-Screening for vision, hearing and lead exposure. Also Pelvic, PAP and contraceptive for females age 18 or sexually active
-Immunizations - Hep A&B, Diptheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Chix Pox, Flu, Pneumonia, HPV, H. Influenza Type B, Polio, Measles, Mumps Rubella (MMR)

Dave

1) Call me J.R.

2) Wow, I'm impressed.

I'm starting to see how some people can confuse health insurance with health care. After looking here BlueCross of California
it seems that BC members do get A LOT of benefits for the money.

Make a note that BC does one insidious thing. They quote their non-mat 70% co-pay $1500 deduct with a $3500 max out of pocket... but if you read the fine print the OOP is IN ADDITION to the deduct... making the true OOP $5,000.

I hate crap like that. It is plain dishonest and the DOI should not allow them to market it using those words. See: http://tinyurl.com/384jen

I wouldn't exactly say BC is acting insidiously since they do have that lovely number 3 next to the annual OOP and the majority of insurance brochure I've seen on the market are crap.

I've rarely come across a brochure that breaks things down that illustrates the OOPM for a single or family and other "what-if" scenario that are important to know. Golden Rule was smart enough to simplify their brochures last year. I do like the fact that one or more family members can contribute to the deductible on the BC plans.

Don't discount the value of having preventive benefits in front of the deductible for IFP especially using HDHP.

We have some state mandated ones here in Florida (mammogram, well-child, PSA, etc.), but some companies offer additional "routine physical" type stuff.

The biggest benefit is psychological for the client...they feel that they are getting SOMETHING for the premiums that they pay, which are still way too high for HDHP, imho.

This is certainly not scientific, but here are sample rates for a $3k copay plan ($5k OOP including deductible) vs $5k HSA.

Aetna - $414 vs $349 (copay vs HSA)
Blue - $435 vs $485
GR - $485 vs $308
Humana - $360 vs $319

Only GR does not have preventive benefits before the deductible on the HSA.

Aetna is an embedded, aggregate deductible of $5k per person, $10k per family.

The others are aggregate family deductibles.

With these kind of spreads, I can sell the HSA almost every time (except Blue).

In MD Carefirst has a individual HMO - pretty much everything is a copay - no deductible. They also have a HSA HMO. We'll do a family, oldest age is 40:

Carefirst Blue Choice: $875
Blue Choice HSA: $219

Slight difference.

We do do PPO to HSA for Golden Rule:

Copay Select $2,500 deductible: $383
HSA 100: $267

1) Call me J.R.

2) Wow, I'm impressed.

I'm starting to see how some people can confuse health insurance with health care. After looking here BlueCross of California
it seems that BC members do get A LOT of benefits for the money.

Sorry, JR. For some reason I had it in my head that I was responding to John P and not you. That's what happens when I post after having wine with dinner LOL

Dave

Don't discount the value of having preventive benefits in front of the deductible for IFP especially using HDHP.

We have some state mandated ones here in Florida (mammogram, well-child, PSA, etc.), but some companies offer additional "routine physical" type stuff.

The biggest benefit is psychological for the client...they feel that they are getting SOMETHING for the premiums that they pay, which are still way too high for HDHP, imho.

I am in agreement here, especially with women and kids. The reason I started this thread was to see if my thinking on this was valid. I am right now staring at an EOB from Blue Cross CA with ZERO coverage because the preventative care on her daughter was done by the doctor and not at a Healthy Check Center. $461 EOB!!!!! I am less than enthused.

The plan in question is the RightPlan PPO. No annual physicals and no in-office preventative care.

I'm reversed - 80% of my clients are men since I'm after the small biz owners. What I like about that is men will make a move just save money - women tend to stick with what they have - an emotional attachment to their current plan.

Also, for family plans normally (don't bash me) the men are paying the premiums so the wife could care less that they're paying $650 for their family of 3.

Back