Sometimes You Have To Say No

CHUMPS FROM OXFORD

Guru
5000 Post Club
Spoke to a 62ish healthy female this morning. Pays $129 per month with UHC (I assume a Saver 80 plan). Has a $10,000 deductible with 20% coinsurance.

Unhappy. Just had foot surgery and I guess she finally realized what a deductible is.

Otherwise healthy. She wanted something under $129 and wanted to change NOW and apply for new coverage NOW!

Only option was short-term coverage that would reduce deductible to $5,000 and rate to about $115. Of course, we all know that a short-term is not really appropriate here.

So I told her I would NOT sell her that short-term plan (she found it on my website). I told her that she could apply direct or perhaps find another broker that would sell it to her.

So why I am I posting this? No, not to get pats on the back or "Chumps, You Da Man" comments. But I do believe in karma. For every person that you steer in the right direction that does not result in a sale, you'll be rewarded later.

That's all. I think I spelled karma right. And I'm waiting for my payback. If it doesn't come within an hour, I'm going to write that lady! (No, I'm not)

Last edited:
I have told this before. Had a lady call me a couple of years ago about her renewal. Said she could not afford it and wanted to go on STM until she could be covered under her fiancee's plan in a few months.

I advised against it but she did it any way.

Then she was in a bad car accident. STM was expiring, wedding was postponed indefinitely (did not ask). She wanted back on her old plan and . . . she had ongoing claims from the accident plus more surgeries scheduled.

She was not happy when I told her no one would take her until she is discharged from her doctors care and no one would cover pending surgery.

STM has very limited application.

Ob...If you are referring to me, it was via phone. She called me after seeing STM information online.

Mark...I sent the info to you. Now we're even since I wrote that family of 12 in Dayton that you sent me that lapsed their policy after three days!

Is it appropriate to say "Ann is da man" or would "Ann is da woman" be better. Just doesn't sound right.

Everyso often you get situations where you have to ask yourself is it worth it? Sounds like this was one of those and even if you don't get something from it, you may have saved yourself greater cost had you signed her up. People have no problem throwing agents under a bus, they don't even think twice.

Back