Son Moving Out

ajcstr

My 25 yr old son is moving out (from NJ to PA). He does not own a car, but he will be using one of ours.

Do I leave him on my policy since he is using our car? Does he need to get insurance under his name?

You should have him get his own insurance, besides the savings on getting PA insurance. You get your life back.

You should have him get his own insurance, besides the savings on getting PA insurance. You get your life back.

But does he still have to be on my policy because he is using my car, car parked in another state, etc?

But does he still have to be on my policy because he is using my car, car parked in another state, etc?

Easiest thing IMO is just put his name on the title and let him insure it. It'll save a lot of headaches later.

In California you could do it either way. You could leave it on your policy and tell the company it's garaged elsewhere. Being that he's 25, most companies would want him to get his own policy. Can you ask your agent?

The biggest reason for him to have his own car and policy is the liability concern.

If something happens and he gets sued, guess who else gets sued? YOUR car and YOUR insurance - so you get sued too. I realize your son would never do anything egregious, but he is 25 years old...

Do you want to put ALL of your assets and income at that kind of risk?

In California you could do it either way. You could leave it on your policy and tell the company it's garaged elsewhere. Being that he's 25, most companies would want him to get his own policy. Can you ask your agent?

Yes, I just wanted to get an idea of the rules first, I think he will have 60 days to get a PA license, i was going to wait till he had that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The biggest reason for him to have his own car and policy is the liability concern.

If something happens and he gets sued, guess who else gets sued? YOUR car and YOUR insurance - so you get sued too. I realize your son would never do anything egregious, but he is 25 years old...

Do you want to put ALL of your assets and income at that kind of risk?

So it sounds like if I don't transfer the title, he will need his own policy AND still be on mine?

Last edited:
So it sounds like if I don't transfer the title, he will need his own policy AND still be on mine?

No, it only needs one policy; it could be yours or his. If he gets his own, make sure his limits are high enough to protect your assets and have him list you as the registered owner. If it stays on yours, make sure you own limits are high enough.

Transferring the title to him would eliminate the possibility of you being named in a lawsuit if he causes an accident.

Couldn't he just be on the title WITH his parents and get his own policy? That is another option since he now has a financial interest so he can get a policy.

Back