Son Off to College < 100 Miles Why Can't I Drop Him

litewait

My son is off to college today and I found out I can't put him in part time use because he is only 75 miles away. I told the agent I wanted to drop him while he is away (if he comes home I'll drive him).

She says I can't drop him because he has a license and he lives in my house.

He won't drive so can they force me to insure him? That's 1300/yr for a car that is sitting!

My son is off to college today and I found out I can't put him in part time use because he is only 75 miles away. I told the agent I wanted to drop him while he is away (if he comes home I'll drive him).

He won't drive so can they force me to insure him? That's 1300/yr for a car that is sitting!

The answer is they can do anything they want as long as it is cleared with the state DOI and you have the right to shop you insurance with another company. That sounds pretty cheap to me for a young male driver.

That does not make sense some companies just ask for the school address and they will drop him form the policy. You should not pay for him not using the car.:goofy:

His official address is still your home address. For most insurance companies, this means they usually rate him or exclude him. Some states don't allow excluding though, so it gets tougher.

Ask your agent if your son can be excluded from the policy. This is different than dropped, because it means if he drives your car, there is NO COVERAGE. Dropped would mean he may be covered under permissive user rules.

Most carriers use the 100 mile rule for students away at college in determining rating or not.

Dan

As far as I know, there is no such thing as "part time" insurance. Either he will be driving, or he will not. Either have him excluded from the policy, or pay for the insurance.

Is saving this money for 9 months worth the risk if he decides to borrow the car when you are not around and has an accident?

As far as I know, there is no such thing as "part time" insurance. Either he will be driving, or he will not. Either have him excluded from the policy, or pay for the insurance.

I seem to recall that some companies will discount the rate if the student is a certain distance from home without a car. It compensates them for vacations and some weekend use, but gives the parents a break as the student has no access to a vehicle the majority of the time.

75 miles may not be far enough away. Depending on locale and traffic, that is 2 hours at most.

I seem to recall that some companies will discount the rate if the student is a certain distance from home without a car. It compensates them for vacations and some weekend use, but gives the parents a break as the student has no access to a vehicle the majority of the time.

75 miles may not be far enough away. Depending on locale and traffic, that is 2 hours at most.

Do they add an endorsement to the policy stating as much when they do that? I have never run into it before, then again, we do try to stay away from auto claims...

Do they add an endorsement to the policy stating as much when they do that? I have never run into it before, then again, we do try to stay away from auto claims...

Second hand knowledge. I remember it coming up while I was at college. I think some of my friends' parents took advantage of it.

If they offer a distant student discount, it would help a little. I just checked a couple of my companies, and they require 100+ miles. I would advise keeping him insured so that still be protected in the event he borrows someone else's car or comes home to visit.

What kind of coverage do you have on the vehicle? If full, drop comp and coll if it does not get used.

Last edited:
Back