SPAM/ email marketing questions

I'm curious to hear your thoughts since I've read conflicting info regarding SPAM?

Am I right to say that if a person/company didn't opt-in to receive an email from me, then my email would be considered SPAM? This is the law, correct?

If you buy leads, these are considered safe since they've opted-in somewhere (supposedly)??

Do each of you email only existing customers, leads, etc - in other words only those that have in fact opted in?

Thanks!

I just email leads and clients. The key is to use a system like constant contact as you keep up with leads through the months so that you are CAN-SPAM compliant.

I simply email them right from my email address when I first get a lead and through the first 3 weeks, then they go to constant contact where they can opt out.

I am not sure about mass email marketing as I have never purchased a list and I don't think I ever will. In past industries I was in, my email and domain got blacklisted and that is a pain because no emails to clients would ever reach their inboxes. Pretty much have to switch domains.

I just email leads and clients. The key is to use a system like constant contact as you keep up with leads through the months so that you are CAN-SPAM compliant.

I simply email them right from my email address when I first get a lead and through the first 3 weeks, then they go to constant contact where they can opt out.

I am not sure about mass email marketing as I have never purchased a list and I don't think I ever will. In past industries I was in, my email and domain got blacklisted and that is a pain because no emails to clients would ever reach their inboxes. Pretty much have to switch domains.

Same here, constant contact is awesome , they have a tag line that says something like this:

"you've received this email because blah blah blah . . .

And then they can opt out, no worries, no headaches.

Same here, constant contact is awesome , they have a tag line that says something like this:

"you've received this email because blah blah blah . . .

And then they can opt out, no worries, no headaches.

Thanks for the responses guys. I understand giving the option to opt-out, but doesn't a person have to opt-in before you can even send them an email to begin with?

If it's a lead, then I'm assuming they've opted-in somewhere along the way....

Thanks for the responses guys. I understand giving the option to opt-out, but doesn't a person have to opt-in before you can even send them an email to begin with?

If it's a lead, then I'm assuming they've opted-in somewhere along the way....

I don't think they have to opt in. I have people on my newsletter list that never signed up for insurance. I've never even spoke to them, ever.

I think they just choose to opt out or not.

Maybe there are some state to state differences.

Not sure, sorry.

Constant contact requires people opt-in. You can add them, it sends them an email to confirm they want to receive emails before your newsletter will reach them.

As long as you don't arbitrarily add people to a maillist, you give valid contact info, and an option to opt out, you will not get anyone knocking on your door. If you have a purchased lead, you can add them to your newsletter, again, just make sure they can opt out and that the optout works.

The other key is to make sure your newsletters are informative, not just 'sales-related'. Give people a reason to stay subscribed.

Dan

I do both do-it-yourself bulk email and email using verticalresponse.com.

verticalresponse.com keeps track of the "bounces" and the unsubscribers when email is sent through them.

They also give you statistics regarding how many people opened their email and how many clicked on a link.

Their interface is pretty user friendly. You can create a fancy HTML email that includes your logo and/or pictures without too much technical expertise.

You can send email for about a penny or less with verticalresponse.com.

If you send bulk email from your own server, make sure that you make it easy for people to unsubscribe. You want people to unsubscribe instead of labeling your email as spam.

If enough people label your email spam, you can get banned by Yahoo! and the other ISPs. You won't be able to send individual emails to your clients for a while.

:arghh:I've been there. It is no fun.

I don't think they have to opt in. I have people on my newsletter list that never signed up for insurance. I've never even spoke to them, ever.

I think they just choose to opt out or not.

Maybe there are some state to state differences.

Not sure, sorry.

Wrong, and if your using constant contact to send to your clients, they must first accept to opt-in. Then they will receive your newsletter, :no:

I do both do-it-yourself bulk email and email using verticalresponse.com.

verticalresponse.com keeps track of the "bounces" and the unsubscribers when email is sent through them.

They also give you statistics regarding how many people opened their email and how many clicked on a link.

Their interface is pretty user friendly. You can create a fancy HTML email that includes your logo and/or pictures without too much technical expertise.

You can send email for about a penny or less with verticalresponse.com.

If you send bulk email from your own server, make sure that you make it easy for people to unsubscribe. You want people to unsubscribe instead of labeling your email as spam.

If enough people label your email spam, you can get banned by Yahoo! and the other ISPs. You won't be able to send individual emails to your clients for a while.

:arghh:I've been there. It is no fun.

Because its Spam,

Last edited:
Wrong, and if your using constant contact to send to your clients, they must first accept to opt-in. Then they will receive your newsletter, :no:

Thanks for the heads up, good thing I wasn't reported as spam!!

Back