Speakin' of Stirring the pot!!

AgentBartlett

Expert
Just looking for opinions. If you enroll someone in a MA plan and they call you to cancel the next week are you responsible for going through all the pain and anguish of sitting on the phone for hours (free of charge) to get them back on the plan that they had before. Consider the following: During OEP the client elects your new plan. They had a $240/month supplement and a $35 drug plan before. The drug plan is automatically disenrolled and like a responsible agent you didn't cancel the supplement until the end of the month. So now the situation is that if they want to go back to the supp they lose their drug plan. (One election per OEP). You can put any situation in there that you want, but the point is that it takes hours and hours to undo the deal (if you can even do it at all) that I wonder if you could say "I understand that you want to change your mind, and that's OK. I will give you the number for disenrollment for abc insurance co. and also the number for medicare so that you can get your drug plan back in force. If I can be of help in the future, please let me know."

I'm not advocating, just stirring the pot.......er......I mean....just asking.;):err:

Probably depends on how you want the situation to end. If you help out your a good guy and maybe get referrals. If you don't then, well you know the rest... Since they are electing to cancel it's kind of on their shoulders in one way.

We are sales people. Why would we cancel our own policy. Why do anything for free unless you screwed them.

If I do the best thing for the client and they want to do something else then THEY can find someone to do the dirty work. You wouldn't get referrals either way.

If this was the 1st time the person went into an MA plan, he has a SEP for the following 12 months. He is able to go back to Medicare and a drug plan even outside of OEP.

While I certainly can't guarantee you'll get a correct answer to this one, call the drug company you want to use and ask them what proof they need. Also, if they cancelled the supplement, you might consider re-writing with Mutual of Omaha if they are competitive. They will take people in this situation on a guaranteed issue basis.

Rick

If this was the 1st time the person went into an MA plan, he has a SEP for the following 12 months. He is able to go back to Medicare and a drug plan even outside of OEP.

While I certainly can't guarantee you'll get a correct answer to this one, call the drug company you want to use and ask them what proof they need. Also, if they cancelled the supplement, you might consider re-writing with Mutual of Omaha if they are competitive. They will take people in this situation on a guaranteed issue basis.

Rick

Just a "sample" situation. I know that there ways to get the job done, I'm just asking......."why should we?". I have done a crazy amount of work free for people that cancelled their policy and I'm just thinking, "am I obligated?"

Rick, Rick, Rick. I do not think that he wanted an answer to that part of it. Sometimes you just need to sit back and listen and then make a recommendation.
Remember, if you are talking then you cannot be listening. :)

Get it in writing

Forget the phone tag and elevator music. “Please hold and this call may be… for quality control.” :goofy:

Most Carriers require it in writing and it is my personal policy to get a cancellation request in writing. I careful specify what needs to be included. Simple, but important things like signatures and dates. You would be surprised... This changes the tone of our call and then I may have a chance to talk them through their fears.

If they are willing to send a cancellation letter, I will go the extra mile. First a copy will go into their file and then the original onto the carrier. I can’t sign them up for a lapsed plan unless it was my plan that they had prior. Then I can assist. Otherwise they need to contact former agent or carrier.

Why would you sit there with them? You cannot cancel the plan for them, and the procedure is pretty cut and dry.

About all I know that you could do to help them is give them the fax number to the enrollment department. Most carriers will require a letter.

Back