Speaking of Internet Leads

Just curious what you think about being the first caller on net leads.

Does it really matter? After working internet leads for the last 40 years, I'm not really sure that it makes a hill of beans.

In fact, it could work against you if the person loosens up a little more after the first call. The importance of being first seems to be one of the hardest things to pin down.

You might be the first caller and close a $140 app or the 10th caller and close a $600 app.

I find that being the first caller AND effectively selling myself as the solution is easier than being the 15th caller and explaining why the lead companies resell the information over and over.

The problem with calling on a real time shared internet lead is if you are not the first person to reach them then you have to deal with a very aggravated person if you are 10th caller.

As we all know though, no matter how quick you are to dial, another agent could have called them before you and now you go to voice mail while they are on the phone with the other agent, or it went to voice mail because they listed their home phone number but they are at work when you call, so you can't always be the first agent to reach them.

Many times they stop answering their phone at all because of being bombarded with so many calls from agents. In cases where they never answer their phone it is best to try them back in 3 or 4 weeks when most if not all the other agents are not calling on them anymore. If the agent calls have died down, they are likely to be answering their phone again and now you have shot at selling them.

The problem with calling on a real time shared internet lead is if you are not the first person to reach them then you have to deal with a very aggravated person if you are 10th caller.

As we all know though, no matter how quick you are to dial, another agent could have called them before you and now you go to voice mail while they are on the phone with the other agent, or it went to voice mail because they listed their home phone number but they are at work when you call, so you can't always be the first agent to reach them.

Many times they stop answering their phone at all because of being bombarded with so many calls from agents. In cases where they never answer their phone it is best to try them back in 3 or 4 weeks when most if not all the other agents are not calling on them anymore. If the agent calls have died down, they are likely to be answering their phone again and now you have shot at selling them.

I agree with this.
Medicare Information and Medicare supplement Insurance

American Seniors Insurance
www.americanseniors.com

National Medicare Supplements
www.nationalmedicaresupplements.com

Medicare Supplement Insurance Quotes - Compare Plans Online medicare supplements

American Seniors - Medicare Supplement Insurance Quotes medicare supplement insurance

Last edited:
I tend to do better calling back later on these leads. Yes, you miss the "got to have it now!" prospect, but I have found most of those people to be tough underwritten cases. There's usually a reason they're in a hurry.

You might be the first caller and close a $140 app or the 10th caller and close a $600 app.

One of my largest cases that I closed recently was because I was the first caller, spent 87 minutes including time to complete applications.

Why can't you strive to be both the 1st caller when possible and also be the agent who follows up? Why would you have to be just one or another?

I'm not trying to beat down on you in any way. I, however, don't see why an agent wouldn't want the first opportunity to work the lead before they get pumped with garbage information, call center reps, minimed hardsell a**holes and all the other people that could be calling them. I also write plenty of business weeks later from follow up. So instead of asking why be the first (which still seems obvious to me) ask why not? Is there any downfall to being the first?

I have done both. Tried to be the first and waited a few days.

Those that buy on the first call tend to drop off the books rather quickly (if you can write them at all). A few years ago when most of the folks online were healthy you could write a high percentage of those you contacted if you worked them right.

The last year or so it is getting more difficult to write anyone. The population isn't sicker but those who have been on group insurance for years tend to take more medications and just assume they can buy anything they want because they have never had trouble getting employer coverage.

I have always had my share of uninsurables but the percentage is climbing.

Back to the question, I have generally found better clients, long term clients, among those that didn't buy for days or even weeks after going on line looking for information.

So instead of asking why be the first (which still seems obvious to me) ask why not? Is there any downfall to being the first?

Well, I was just fishing for opinions. I think it shows an eagerness to get the business by trying to be first, when possible, but because of the randomness of net leads, I'm not sure that it really matters.

Whether or not there's a downside to being first, I really don't know, it would take a fairly detailed mathematical study to make this assertion with any confidence, and even then, it would be an approximation.

Were you really first? Did they go to their local agent before you. Did they talk to referred agents? Have they spoken to carriers directly?

What's the difference between a person that did all of these things and you were the first call on the net lead, and someone that did none of these things and you were the first call?

Absolutely!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
One of my largest cases that I closed recently was because I was the first caller, spent 87 minutes including time to complete applications.

Why can't you strive to be both the 1st caller when possible and also be the agent who follows up? Why would you have to be just one or another?

I'm not trying to beat down on you in any way. I, however, don't see why an agent wouldn't want the first opportunity to work the lead before they get pumped with garbage information, call center reps, minimed hardsell a**holes and all the other people that could be calling them. I also write plenty of business weeks later from follow up. So instead of asking why be the first (which still seems obvious to me) ask why not? Is there any downfall to being the first?
The cost is why! aged leads manage to get 1/3 the placement ratio as fresh, but at 1/7 the cost. We need fresh buyers like you to subsidize the larger producers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back