Special ACA Life Event Enrollment Rules

fostever

Guru
100+ Post Club
Chicago
I should know this, but I don't write many individual ACA plans. My wife is abruptly leaving an employer group plan at the end of the May. Since it is after the 15th of the month is the first available ACA compliant plan effective date July 1? We'd like a June 1 effective date so as to not have a coverage gap and potential tax penalty!

I should know this, but I don't write many individual ACA plans. My wife is abruptly leaving an employer group plan at the end of the May. Since it is after the 15th of the month is the first available ACA compliant plan effective date July 1? We'd like a June 1 effective date so as to not have a coverage gap and potential tax penalty!

what plan are you on.............

Do app at Marketplace.
Select box losing coverage in NEXT 60 days.
Losing 6/30/16.
You'll get an effective date of 7/1 all the way up to 6/30 app date.
You'll get your medical card within 3 months

what plan are you on.............

BCBS of IL from employer and had it with individual.

----------

Do app at Marketplace.
Select box losing coverage in NEXT 60 days.
Losing 6/30/16.
You'll get an effective date of 7/1 all the way up to 6/30 app date.
You'll get your medical card within 3 months
I hate going on the marketplace website to change back since they ask for all this unnecessary crap like whether my wife who's been a citizen for 30 years is actually a citizen while doing it off the exchange is seamless! oh well

We are all on her affordable employer plan this month and she decided to quit last week after the 15th and so we all are losing coverage 6/1/16

which will create a open enrollment at your group.......

You can get coverage for 6/1 off the exchange with proof of loss letter. Trying to find an off exchange application is a difficult process. Liken it to hide the weenie

BCBS of IL from employer and had it with individual.

What does that mean? Double coverage (group and individual)?

I hate going on the marketplace

Then why did you ask for advice if you aren't willing to take it?

Why can't you go on a sharing ministry plan?

Oh goodness....

1. If you want coverage 6/1, you can get it, assuming you are willing to jump through extra hoops at the FFM

2. The tax penalty requires more than 2 months, 29 days of consecutive non-coverage. AKA-1 month isn't going to trigger the penalty

3. Assuming the group is over 20 employees (I have no idea what state you are in and if State Continuation is available), you are COBRA eligible. You will have 60 days from the date of the COBRA notice (NOT termination date) to activate COBRA.

My two cents:

Ride the COBRA grace period out for June. Get your RX's filled prior to 5/31, if possible for a 90 day supply. Don't go to the doc in June. If something happens, activate COBRA for that person ONLY. Go 7/1 on an Indy plan. On or Off Ex. Just make sure you have documentation (COC) with the termination date.

Back