Special enrollment confusion

SamIam

Guru
1000 Post Club
I have a guy who moved to Illinois in early December from Florida. I told him he had a special enrollment because he is moving to a different state and lost his job. I thought he told me his job was paying for his coverage through December. Today while doing the application he said he lost his coverage in July and now he needs hip surgery. He has no income but is supposed to get social security in 3 weeks. If I knew he lost his coverage in July I would have enrolled him before the 15th. He will be 65 in August. Any suggestions because he really needs this surgery.

I have a guy who moved to Illinois in early December from Florida. I told him he had a special enrollment because he is moving to a different state and lost his job. I thought he told me his job was paying for his coverage through December. Today while doing the application he said he lost his coverage in July and now he needs hip surgery. He has no income but is supposed to get social security in 3 weeks. If I knew he lost his coverage in July I would have enrolled him before the 15th. He will be 65 in August. Any suggestions because he really needs this surgery.

State mediciad would be best and maybe only option. Delay social security if income disqualifies him from mediciad

State mediciad would be best and maybe only option. Delay social security if income disqualifies him from mediciad
I was just reading . You can’t have over $2k in a bank account and get Medicaid .The guy just recently lost his job so he probably has over $2k

Medicaid is based on MAGI for under age 65, it is not based on assets in states that expanded medicaid under obamacare. Really, its based on monthly magi. Someone who goes from 100k to zero income with job loss is eligible.

I know many wealthy people on free medicaid, its how obama wrote the law.....On the path to nationalized healthcare.

$2k of assets is used for long term care eligibility under medicaid

Selling an asset (condo), means you no longer have that asset, but it does generate income (cap gain), if not considered primary residence.

Yes its considered in annual income if taxable, but not considered monthly income under medicaid expansion.

You will have to look at medicaid app and income proof requirements to see if I am right. I dont sell medicaid, no agents do.

Sale of condo is a 2020 tax event. Medicaid is based on monthly income and ACA is based on 2021 projected income. Social security counts under income for magi.

Just because you make 100k a year, doesn't mean you saved any of it. Instead, they bought a tesla. This is amerika, we reward for irresponsibility.

I was just reading . You can’t have over $2k in a bank account and get Medicaid .The guy just recently lost his job so he probably has over $2k
In my state there is no means testing only MAGI income for applicants not Medicare eligible. For those who are Medicare eligible it is means tested, and would involve a "spend down" if there is money above $2000 in assets other than home, etc. Check the state the Medicaid rules for the state client is in as mentioned
I don't think I can delete mine, but I just said what YAgents said.

Back