Split Commercial / Residential Property Insured as Residential?

Dane Fotus

Hello,

I have recently acquired a split commercial / residential property in Ontario, Canada. The first floor is commercial space, and the top two floors are my home. The property is zoned General Commercial. My current insurance is a commercial policy, even though I am not yet running a business out of the commercial space. Nor is the commercial space vacant, as I walk through the space or work in the space every day I am home. I have been told by multiple brokers that it must be insured as a commercial property, although today I have just received a quote to insure it as a residence. This quote originated from the broker providing my current policy who is fully aware of the property description. I am a bit skeptical because I initially requested this type of coverage in the first place, and only after I have started a second round of shopping around have they come back with this. Are there reasons that a proposed residential policy for my property would not be valid? Note that because I purchased the property outright, I have no lender requirements for specific coverages.

Thank you,
Dane

This bothers me:

I am not yet running a business out of the commercial space.

Does that mean you intend to run a business out of that space in the future? If yes, depending on the type of business, you might end up going back to a commercial policy anyway.

Are there reasons that a proposed residential policy for my property would not be valid?

As long as the risk was properly presented to the underwriter and approved, there shouldn't be any issues.

I suggest you visit your broker and insist on a copy of the application that he presented to his underwriter to make sure nothing was omitted about the building.

Jack,

Thank you for the quick reply!

Does that mean you intend to run a business out of that space in the future? If yes, depending on the type of business, you might end up going back to a commercial policy anyway.

I intend to run a mixed use shop out of here eventually but am at least a year or maybe two away.

As long as the risk was properly presented to the underwriter and approved, there shouldn't be any issues.

I suggest you visit your broker and insist on a copy of the application that he presented to his underwriter to make sure nothing was omitted about the building.

Great, I will do exactly that. Thank you for your advice.

Regards,
Dane

Back