Spoofing My Phone Number

alldaytuesdays

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Triad, NC
Just wondering if anyone else has had experience with having their phone number used a spoofing number. For the last two weeks, my toll-free number is being used for insurance-related telemarketing. I'm getting the callbacks after people see my caller ID - 30-50 an hour - which are either a) hangups or b) F&(! you, don't ever call me again, etc etc

Obviously, this is a huge disruption to business since I don't know which calls are legit prospects/clients and which are callbacks from the spoofed calls wanting to dress me down. I've gathered some information from some of the callbacks and used that to file some complaints with the FCC (not expecting much out of that but who knows). Anyway... Has anyone ever had this happen? What did you do? Change your number (been in business 12 years - would be a huge hassle but could do it)? Wait for it to end (I suspect they use a number for a while then move on maybe)? I know the FCC has handed out some big number fines for this in the last couple of years, but I imagine it's incredibly difficult to get to track down.

I had it happen and it made my phone nearly unusable for around two weeks.

I wouldn't invest much into filing a complaint with the FCC because it is nearly guaranteed to do nothing.

If you wait it out, odds are it will die down.

Sorry bro (broette?), it sucks.

Thanks for the feedback, Josh.
The latest update is that I talked to one of the people that had received the spoofed calls. The spoofers were in a call center and had this guy's full name, home address, phone # (obviously), name of current insurance company and name of primary care physician. They were impersonating being from his current insurance company. He was a smart guy, reported it/called me to let me know, but imagine they are racking up scamming people if they have that information on everyone.

Its ridiculous how much of this goes on and literally nothing seems to be done about it. I get calls daily on my home office line and cell, many if not most appear to be local numbers, but aren't. Heck, several times the caller id showed MY OWN number was the one calling me. Wow. Most are credit card calls it seems. Wish I could track em down and choke the crap out of em, as do most folks.

Its ridiculous how much of this goes on and literally nothing seems to be done about it. I get calls daily on my home office line and cell, many if not most appear to be local numbers, but aren't. Heck, several times the caller id showed MY OWN number was the one calling me. Wow. Most are credit card calls it seems. Wish I could track em down and choke the crap out of em, as do most folks.
I get scam e-mails from myself and I can't block them. I don't know how they do it, but I'd like to do some choking too!!! :mad:

I had it happen and it made my phone nearly unusable for around two weeks.

I wouldn't invest much into filing a complaint with the FCC because it is nearly guaranteed to do nothing.

If you wait it out, odds are it will die down.

Sorry bro (broette?), it sucks.
Broette. :twitchy:

I get scam e-mails from myself and I can't block them. I don't know how they do it, but I'd like to do some choking too!!! :mad:

If you're using a custom email account, e.g. goillini52 at yourwebsite dot com, you need to implement SPF, DKIM and especially DMARC on your account.

That will stop the spoofed emails from your email to you and to anyone sending spoofed emails to others "on your behalf".

If you're using a custom email account, e.g. goillini52 at yourwebsite dot com, you need to implement SPF, DKIM and especially DMARC on your account.

That will stop the spoofed emails from your email to you and to anyone sending spoofed emails to others "on your behalf".
Thanks Val, I'll have to research that, because I don't have a clue what that stuff is. I'm terrible with technology. :yes:

Back