Sports Insurance?

G

Just read a post by Todder requesting information on accident insurance. That got me to thinking. Sooo......

Is there such a thing as "sports insurance" that would cover say a little league ball player age 10 while engaged in sanctioned little league games or sanctioned team practices. Lets say they get hit in the mouth with a ball while playing a league game and the parents are facing major orthodontia expenses. Or they slide into second, and break a leg (I don't know if that is possible, but for the sake of argument let's go with it)?

P.S. Anything I found using Google was insurance from the perspective of the team organizors/sponsors/coaches.

Thanks.

Dude its called HEALTH INSURANCE.....which I highly suggest all Parents with kids in sports have.......you have seen my kids skateboarding xray and just last season on the little league team I was coaching one of my players gets his finger caught in a gate and takes the end of his finger off......luckly the parents were on an HMO.....

Per Stibroker:

Dude its called HEALTH INSURANCE
WOW!!!!!! What will they think of next! :D

Seriously, My policy has a $2,500 deductible per person.

I swear I recall as a kid when I got a mouthpiece it came with a little card you could fill out and mail with $3.00 or $5.00 and get either $500 or $3,000 (I forget the numbers but they are reasonably accurate) of insurance to cover dental injuries.

That is why I was asking about sports insurance for practices and the season. Ofcourse I expected to pay more than $3.00 or $5.00 if there was such a thing. I would be willing to pay between $100.00 and well, less than $200.

marcircus said:
I swear I recall as a kid when I got a mouthpiece it came with a little card you could fill out and mail with $3.00 or $5.00 and get either $500 or $3,000 (I forget the numbers but they are reasonably accurate) of insurance to cover dental injuries.

That is why I was asking about sports insurance for practices and the season. Ofcourse I expected to pay more than $3.00 or $5.00 if there was such a thing. I would be willing to pay between $100.00 and well, less than $200.

10 TO 1 it was a mega life policy just like student insurance flyer's they send home every year.....

Thanks for all the replies.

Truly a wealth of information on this board.

I was thinking about marketing an accident policy to sports-minded individuals and parents of kids in sports. Most "sports-related" policies I've researched have to do with liability on the part of the team/organization/facility.

Has anyone attempted something like this? Any downside?

Many years ago, a local athlete was thinking of going pro. His parents, who had investments with me, asked if there was a policy that would cover their son if he stayed in college for his Senior year instead of going pro early.

I referred them to Lloyds of London and either through Lloyds or an affiliate, they got the policy and their son stayed in school for his Senior season. The policy payed a specified amount if he was injured and not drafted. The policy, most importantly, met NCAA guidelines.

The kid ended up playing pro ball for a decade. No referral fee for me and he never invested any of his money with me either. But it was kind of neat knowing I had a small hand in him staying in School.

I am on the board of directors for a youth sports league. We buy our coverage through bollinger (http://www.bollingerinsurance.com/). They are setup for this type of thing very specifically.

It is usually the league that buys it, since it's hard to know who has health insurance, who doesn't, etc, etc. Since it only covers accidents / liability during the sport league events, it's pretty inexpensive.

I called them once, looking for coverage for table tennis players. They had to transfer me to the 'table tennis' department. I pictured a HUGE room with a bunch of cubicles, with signs hanging with various sports names listed, with 10-15 underwriters working in each sport. I have no idea how many people are actually there, but I couldn't imagine having a whole department to deal with table tennis.....

Dan

Back