Spousal Abuse! Handling the spouse objection.

G

Jeffrey Gitomer says "if you can make them laugh, you can make them buy!" So here's a spouse objection that I've used to make them laugh and make them buy.

First, I have to say that I rarely believe that everyone has to speak to his or her spouse. Here’s why?

Prior to going online looking for insurance they must have said something like this: “Honey, the price on our health insurance went up again, I think we need to see what our options are.”

They spoke to their spouse.

Then the spouse had to respond with one of the following: “I’ll handle it” Or “You handle it.”

Then they went online. So how do you validate this situation if and when it arises in a sales presentation?

Try this on for size (from two perspectives).

Client: I need to speak to my wife.

Single Agent: Why? My Dad hasn't spoke to my Mom in years!

or

Married Agent: Why? I haven't spoke to my wife in years!

Now before you think I'm crazy (or crazier than you had thought), this works! Because usually laughter ensues even from the most rigid people and this diffuses the tension, breaks down resistance and brings them back to reality because . . .

Now, the most important part is that you should follow it up with something like this:

Agent: Seriously, this is health insurance, do you think he/she will really get upset if:

• You’re saving $XX a month?
• Her doctor is in the network?
• You finally got insurance?

I don’t think so. And very often neither will they. And neither should you.

Don’t be a victim of spousal abuse!

Back