SR22 Filing in CA=reinstatement Date?

Santa

Car Towed and Impounded for 30 Days 14601.1a

My California driving privilege was suspended pending an SR22 filing. My driving record is perfect. I got the SR22 last Friday and my insurance agent said they would electronically file it with the DMV. I got pulled over on Saturday and the officer towed my sisters vehicle and put a 30 day hold on it! I contacted my insurance lady and she assured me that I should have no problem and that the date I received my policy is the date of reinstatement. Should I be worried?

Thanks for answering my question.

So the date on the reinstatement should be the day before I got pulled over? Is that correct? If that's so then I should be able to get a release from the PD and get my sisters car released. That's all I'm really concerned about.

Thanks in advance

Hi Santa,

Yes, the date of reinstatement should be the date your license was suspended, as long as the SR-22 provided to the DMV shows you were insured on that date.

However, the DMV is notoriously slow showing these in their system, so you may have to keep following up to make sure nothing goes wrong.

Just for clarification, filing an SR-22 does NOT reinstate your license. You MUST go to the DMV, pay them a reinstatement fee and then your license is reinstated.

None of this will really impact your rates heavily, unless of course, there are driving reasons you have to have an SR-22. Also, why was your sisters car impounded? More specifically, why did you get pulled over? Did you get a ticket for driving on a suspended license? If so, then yes, your rates will be heavily impacted.

Of course, I suspect there is more to the original story, don't really care, but odds are, your license is still suspended. If the agent actually told you that filing the SR-22 would reinstate the license, they would be wrong. My guess is, they meant to say (not sure what they actually said) is that your license COULD be reinstated.

Dan

Back