Sr22

Fdetrana

Expert
I've been with USAA for over 10 years with no tickets but now have gotten a DUI. I'm not going to report the dui to USAA and shop for a secondary non owner policy with the minimum liability coverage possible just to get the sr22 to get my license back. Does this sound like the cheapest way to go about it? I'm only paying like 50 a month for full coverage with USAA. I know my policy doesn't renew for 6 months and even then USAA may not even check my driving record? Thanks

in your case, it's probably your best way to go. normally it is better to just have one policy.... but from what you described, you probably would be an exception to that.

what state are you in?

I'm in Ca and my USAA insurance is bundled with my homeowners. So yea I'll just get a non owner sr22 second policy to get my license back huh?

yes, but of course, that's no guarantee that you will continue to fly under the radar.

companies pull driving records up at random at renewal... the odds vary from one company to the next as far as what percentage of drivers get reviewed... have no clue where USAA falls in that spectrum.

I understand. When the do raise my rates will be when I shop around or discuss the cost of staying with them with their own sr22.

----------

One other thing I understand 1 point falls off your record every 18 months so will my rates begin to get better after 18 months? So if I flew under the radar for 1 year then I would only have 6 months of 2 points on my record?

One other thing I understand 1 point falls off your record every 18 months so will my rates begin to get better after 18 months? So if I flew under the radar for 1 year then I would only have 6 months of 2 points on my record?

It doesn't work that way.

I'm not familiar with how California DMV handles violation points. but regarding insurance rating, it doesn't matter anyways.... how your state DMV scores points on violations, and how insurance companies weigh severity of the same violations are two different animals. companies take the info listed on your MVR, but they assign their own points/severity to each violation as they see fit. thus insurance violations vary greatly from one company to the next, and are independent of how the state DMV weighs them.

in general, most companies stop penalizing for DUI's after three years. but other companies go back as far as five years.

on a side note, you will be surprised to learn that a DUI is not the kiss of death with non standard companies like it can be with many standard companies... as an example, out of my four largest non standard carriers, all four of them weigh DUI's either less than or about equal to what they weigh speeding, stop sign & red light tickets (in fact, one carrier doesn't penalize for a DUI at all if that's the only violation. they get the same rate as someone with a clean record)... I know that doesn't make much sense, but I think it's because of the high competition in the non standard market for DUI customers.

Last edited:
It doesn't work that way.

I'm not familiar with how California DMV handles violation points. but regarding insurance rating, it doesn't matter anyways.... how your state DMV scores points on violations, and how insurance companies weigh severity of the same violations are two different animals. companies take the info listed on your MVR, but they assign their own points/severity to each violation as they see fit. thus insurance violations vary greatly from one company to the next, and are independent of how the state DMV weighs them.

in general, most companies stop penalizing for DUI's after three years. but other companies go back as far as five years.

on a side note, you will be surprised to learn that a DUI is not the kiss of death with non standard companies like it can be with many standard companies... as an example, out of my four largest non standard carriers, all four of them weigh DUI's either less than or about equal to what they weigh speeding, stop sign & red light tickets (in fact, one carrier doesn't penalize for a DUI at all if that's the only violation. they get the same rate as someone with a clean record)... I know that doesn't make much sense, but I think it's because of the high competition in the non standard market for DUI customers.

Which company is that? I could use it for my sr22? I've heard good things about breatheasy?

wow! you found the right company. I'm not familiar with Cali rates but I'd imagine that's about as good as it gets.... If you don't mind my asking, which company was it with?

Back