Stacking UM/UIM --- 1 Car?

insurance1822

Guru
1000 Post Club
I've seen "stacking" on single car dec pages & I'm curious as to how exactly that's happening?

1.) Maybe they had 2+ cars previously (and stacking applied..) and now upon dropping to 1 car their system just defaults and displays "stacking?"

2.) Maybe certain carrier systems just automatically spit it out on the dec page?

I've come to realize that there's always new information I'm learning, so what's the deal here? Can stacking somehow apply w/ 1 car in some ridiculous scenario I can't think of?

I see this very often, one example being Erie. I figure It's either how the agents are trained, how the default quotes are done, or something to protect insureds down the road (when they get married and/or own more than one vehicle). I doubt it's based on the fact of it being slightly more in premium but that doesn't hurt I guess.

Here, we suggest non-stacked with higher limits. Another thing I see often is stacking at 15/30 BI. In Pennsylvania many companies ask for stacking rejection forms anytime a vehicle is added (not replacing), and they can be a hassle, so it's a plus there. However, at time of sale a lower limits form is required if the UM/UIM do not match the BI liability, and I hate pointing that out. Would rather sell matching limits if saving them $ already.

The way I have been told is the stacking on a single car policy for the um/uim would also apply if the policy holder use their friends car 1 day and got into an accident.

So said friend got 15/30 um/uim. If the insured has 100/300 stacked um/uim on their 1 car policy, they get 115/330 total.

With no stacking on their policy, the insured will only get whatever the limits of the um/uim on the friend's policy.

Latest posts

Back