Stand Alone Detached Structure - Policy?

insurance1822

Guru
1000 Post Club
Anybody know where or how to insure a property that contains acreage w/ a barn? Their primary homeowner's would extend liability BUT how do you insure just a barn?

----------

Apparently American Modern will do it.

Anybody know where or how to insure a property that contains acreage w/ a barn? Their primary homeowner's would extend liability BUT how do you insure just a barn?

----------

Apparently American Modern will do it.

Hi insurance1822, I see that you didn't receive a response for this so I thought I'd chip in.

Structuring a policy to cover an additional building usually isn't too difficult, depending on the specific wording of the policy. Best to speak with the underwriters you have access to for guidance, however depending on the size/location/purpose of the property, you may need to arrange a policy that more closely resembles farm insurance.

Whether you end up getting it covered with a household or farm product, the policy is likely to have either a broad definition for all buildings on the premises, or a section which allows you to specify a sum insured for any barn, outhouse, shed, and other structures such as fencing.

ISO has an HO endorsement to insure structures away from the residence premises.

On what basis do you believe the HO policy extends liability coverage?

ISO has an HO endorsement to insure structures away from the residence premises.

On what basis do you believe the HO policy extends liability coverage?

Yeah, their is a HO endorsement that allows this. There is a way to extend liability as well...can't think of the endorsement off hand, but we just got done with a quote for someone that lived out of town, on an acreage, and had a building in town. Wasn't tough, just had the underwriter add it to the quote, as it wasn't accessible on our end.

Back