Standard-Non Tobacco Due to Cholesterol Level.

solo2013

Expert
We submitted life app with North American company.
It was approved at standard non-smoker rate due to high cholesterol level of 253.
I looked up their underwriting guide and up to 240 is good for preferral rate.

The difference is only 13. Should i ask for reconsideration? Or go for another carrier?

Last edited:
Usually they look at ratio as well. Was that out of whack?

There is no harm in asking them to reconsider, but there may have been other factors such that they decided to not to cut you some slack.

The insured is not taking any medication.
Because her cholestrol level was low until now.

Then there is probably more to this story. Perhaps the insured should be ecstatic at standard rating.

Something made it shoot up. Find that out first, and then go get a better rating.

We submitted life app with North American company.
It was approved at standard non-smoker rate due to high cholesterol level of 253.
I looked up their underwriting guide and up to 240 is good for preferral rate.

The difference is only 13. Should i ask for reconsideration? Or go for another carrier?

Gonna go out on a limb and say his HDL (and thus his ratio) stinks.

The insured is not taking any medication.
Because her cholestrol level was low until now.

As Vol said does not hurt to ask. If nothing else you may get the rest of the story. Another company may have a Std+ that could work. Sounds like undiagnosed or non compliant could be as well.

Adjust the plan is they can not pay the difference. Place it with a plan to revisit it in a year or two once they are on meds.

Another good example of why it's best to not quote anything other than a standard rate until you've submitted an app.

VolAgent makes a good point: there may be other considerations here. Cholesterol ratio is one, along with history of readings and mode of treatment. Build could be another one.

In cases like this my experience has been to first make an appeal with the current carrier. Enlist their cooperation by asking them for any and all other concerns they have. Make sure you address each one.

If you have no success, then be sure to ask your distributor to prequalify the case before submitting a new app. Since they have the file they should be able to get a commitment from another carrier to a rate before you go formal. This way you will know in advance whether or not another carrier would be more competitive.

Who knows? This may be the best offer at the present time. You could always reshop the case next year.

Back