Starting a New Career in the Insurance Industry, I Need Help!

Hi, my name is Becky and I currently live in SC but due to husband getting new job in Lubbock, Tx I decided to take this opportunity and make a career change. Currently I am a server in the F & B Industry and I am very good at what I do. Customers Love Me!! However, at my age I need to think about my future and have decided to use this move as a chance to change careers and get my insurance license. 25 years ago I sold medicare supps and made a very good income just not smart enough at that time to stick with it. I want to do well this time and feel I can deal better with the things that held me back in the past...ie..rejection, time management, common sense. I guess my need is to know what would be my best plan? Go Independent? What type of Insurance to start with? P & C or Health and Life? I am going to be in the unique position that I will not have to worry about another J.O.B. I can take my time and work this full time and full speed which is exactly what I plan on doing. Pacific Crest is a company I have spoken to and am curious if anyone here knows of them and can give insight. They want me to sign a lot of document s and before doing so I need help in understanding what they are wanting? I know this is a long post but I really need Professional advise from someone who will know. Thank You for your time!! Becky

25 years ago I sold medicare supps and made a very good income just not smart enough at that time to stick with it.

If you enjoyed it and made a "very good income" doing it why are you not going to go back to Med Supps now?

There are 11,000 baby boomers turning 65 every day for the next 18 to 20 years. The market has changed since you were in it but if you like, give me a call and I can catch you up pretty quick.

Hi, my name is Becky and I currently live in SC but due to husband getting new job in Lubbock, Tx I decided to take this opportunity and make a career change. Currently I am a server in the F & B Industry and I am very good at what I do. Customers Love Me!! However, at my age I need to think about my future and have decided to use this move as a chance to change careers and get my insurance license. 25 years ago I sold medicare supps and made a very good income just not smart enough at that time to stick with it. I want to do well this time and feel I can deal better with the things that held me back in the past...ie..rejection, time management, common sense. I guess my need is to know what would be my best plan? Go Independent? What type of Insurance to start with? P & C or Health and Life? I am going to be in the unique position that I will not have to worry about another J.O.B. I can take my time and work this full time and full speed which is exactly what I plan on doing. Pacific Crest is a company I have spoken to and am curious if anyone here knows of them and can give insight. They want me to sign a lot of document s and before doing so I need help in understanding what they are wanting? I know this is a long post but I really need Professional advise from someone who will know. Thank You for your time!! Becky

I would suggest trying different things until you zero in on a product or two that you simply enjoy selling. I thought I would like working from home, HATED IT, I thought I would enjoy selling med. supps fulltime, NOT MENTALLY CHALLENGING ENOUGH FOR ME TO DO FULL-TIME (boring), I never thought I would like commercial insurance but I found that I really like the competition in that feild, after spending 20 years in the auto sales industry I think I thrive on it. I still sell 4-5 med supps a month for spending money but I don't market those anymore.
So my suggestion, find what you love and do that. You will never have to work another day in your life if you enjoy what you do.

Using Frank's numbers of 11,000 seniors turning 65 per day, that is 3,872,000 per year. According to statistics, in 2008 there were 434,800 agents in the US and that will be up to 487,000 by 2018, that equates to 7.95 clients per agent. So let's say only 10% of agents offer med supps, thats 79.5 clients a year per agent(80 X 300= 24000). Now consider this, of that 10% probably 2-3 %( if that many) are actually successful, that leaves slim pickens for everyone else. Good luck getting rich in med. supps!!!

Insurance Sales Agents

Last edited:
Start with health and life vs P and C.

You said you were good at selling med supps a long time ago, so try it again.

Back