Starting at NYL - Best Appt. Setting Techniques to Start With?

robbdmc

Just got the offer from New York Life and am about to take my state exam.

Just curious about your ideas and advice for getting appointments right out of the gate. What were your most effective? (Should I start calling people from my network? Should I start cold calling? Should I go somewhere and set up a table? etc.)

Basically, how can I start out strong and busy? Thanks!

Re: Starting at NYL - Best Appt. Setting Techniques to Start With

Just got the offer from New York Life and am about to take my state exam.

Just curious about your ideas and advice for getting appointments right out of the gate. What were your most effective? (Should I start calling people from my network? Should I start cold calling? Should I go somewhere and set up a table? etc.)

Basically, how can I start out strong and busy? Thanks!

I know you are on here looking for help, and nothing wrong with that, but...

Isn't this something you should have discussed with your sales manager?

Did you complete a "project 100" (or 200 or 300) in your preliminary training? You need to be getting these answers from your manager.

Haven't been given the project yet. Also haven't started working with my manager yet.

I was just curious about your experiences, and what you guys found to work best. Didn't mean to piss everyone off.

Haven't been given the project yet. Also haven't started working with my manager yet.

I was just curious about your experiences, and what you guys found to work best. Didn't mean to piss everyone off.

Trust us, you're not pissing us off. These are just things your manager should have already addressed with you. They are more disturbing than anything.

That said, NYL is going to expect you to work your project 200 for clients and referrals. They aren't going to be big on cold calling. And setting up a table is completely the wrong approach for NYL.

No one is pissed. Everybody loves everybody here. Let's go back to the beginning. What exactly have they offered you? It is unlikely that they will offer an actual producer contract before having you complete the 'Market Analysis" (list of names) as well as possibly a number of "market surveys" where you ask people in your market about what they think about you going into fnancial services, would they be willing to talk with you about their needs, and will they give you referrals. Have they simply offered you an invitation to enter a preliminary phase to "try on" the position before "buying" the job?

Our point was that if you are actually a full-fledged agent with NYL, they had better be the ones showing you how to do it. You will HAVE to show that you have at least an initial supply of prospects (your natural market) and the ability to obtain referrals and make personal observations on a daily basis. Otherwise, it is unlikely they would offer you a contract.

Exactly as Larry said. Also they are getting a hefty override off of your production in the first few years. They need to earn it by teaching you the business and how to prospect.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Basically had 2 interviews with a managing partner and was offered the job. No personality test or project 100. Just an online application and background check. On the second interview he went over the full compensation presentation. He then told me where to go to begin the licensing process, and that they would reimburse me for it. He asked me about my network, and I told him that it's pretty large and that I know hundreds of people that we could potentially send a letter to.. that was it though. Atleast so far. He's been with the company for a really long time and was really successful as an agent back in the day. We had a lot in common. I thought maybe I just had an easier time because he felt like he knew what he was doing when it came to hiring me. I also dont think that he is normally the managing partner that is trying to hire people. Maybe its just because he's been really successful and hasnt needed to? Everyone else that ive met that has applied to my NYL office met with this other guy. Im assuming that after I get my license I will sign some sort of contract?

Anyway, all of this is basically why I am coming to you guys. I know I will probably end up finding out more through my manager, but can you guys give me some info ahead of time? Like what should I look for in the sign on contract? Are they all the same or can I ask for more considering my large network?

Its interesting to hear you say that NYL doesnt want cold calling, or table setups.. is this because they really do try to be more professional?

Looking forward to your insight! Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Its interesting to hear you say that NYL doesnt want cold calling, or table setups.. is this because they really do try to be more professional?

I wouldn't necessarily say more professional. After all, NYL has as many clowns as anyone else. It is simply that NYL's target market doesn't respond well to such marketing efforts. Just like NML, Mass and Guardian, they are after white collar professionals, and business owners.

Back