Starting Indy-Direct Appointments?

AmberB

I've read all 80 something pages of threads for the Becoming and Independent Agent, so please don't refer me back to that...

I would like to know if anyone out there started out truely independent, getting direct appointments from various P/C carriers?

If not, is going through a company like Superior Access the best plan of attack? I spoke with someone there and she said I would pay a monthly fee, but keep all my commissions. It wouldn't be direct appointments with the individual carriers, but once I had produced enough I could apply for direct appointments and SA would transfer my book to me. Is this the "assigning commissions" I've seen people talk about on here? When going through a company like this, how long do you have to wiat after policy issue to actually get paid?

Also, as an Indy, what was your true first year like? Policies per month, income, expenses?

I started with Farmers last April, but I'm leaving them. I've considered going with AmFam or Nationwide because of the financial support in the beginning, but I'd really rather not get into another situation where I don't really own the rights to anything I've worked my bum off to produce!

Thanks for your help!
Amber

As far as direct appointments: Progressive, Foremost/Bristol West, Viking/Dairyland, and any regional substandard companies will be easy. FYI Progressive has preferred tiers now so that can carry you over for awhile until you build up your book for other appointments.

Try your regional preferred companies as well but the national big ones like Travelers, Safeco, etc. will be hard to get with about a year of experience.

Superior access takes 45-60 days to get paid which is garbage but better than nothing and you own your business so you can roll it to a direct appointment. I am only using them until my direct appointments are finalized. I left my captive carrier this month and it takes about 30 days for each appointment to go through.

Amber, SmartChoice agents might be a good bet for you if you're solely looking at P&C.

www.SmartChoiceAgents.com

They will help get you direct appointments with several carriers.

Superior Access is slow and doesn't give you binding authority. Sometimes it takes 3 days to get a firm quote from them on even PERSONAL insurance.

Well I just checked out Erie Insurance, it was sounding so great... And then the let down: they aren't in Missouri!!

I filled out the online form for Progressive last Friday and haven't heard anything, not even a "we got your info" email, from them... Do they normally take this long or should I be calling someone?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Thanks CaptiveGuy! (I can't PM yet)

Last edited:
SIAA is the only way, The bonuses and overrides I get easily pay for the cost of joining.

In my area, some of the major carriers will NOT appoint any new agents if they arent not part of SIAA.

Their reasoning? the system works.

I was with Farmers.

How does SIAA work? Is it like Superior Access and Smart Choice? What is their "system"?

Thanks!

Amber,
Hows your search for P/C carriers going? We're there any particular carriers that are more receptive to new indy agents?

I have been calling carriers asking for appointments. Many want a certain amount of years in the biz or a certain book size.

I did get appointed with Progressive. I filled out the online application a followed up with a phone call a few day later.

John

Back